WnSoft Forums

Image size for TV show

Stevie

I’m making a DVD to play on a widescreen TV.

Despite doing a search I can’t find a suggestion as to what is the best resolution to resize all my Canon images.

I have always resized images for previous shows to 1024 X 682 and these have always looked fine, but now with the zoom option they don’t look so great. I really don’t want the hassle of resizing images differently, depending on whether I plan to zoom into them or not, but would rather just make an action to resize everything.

Stevie,

There has been a lot of recent discussion about this on the Forum and I also

have been 'experimenting' with Pte on Wide Screen TV's.

You may not know that the standard PC Monitor Format is the IEEE Standard

of 1024x768 pixels which was adopted by Microsoft and the Television Industry

many many years ago. (Thats a 4:3 ratio ~ relative size Format)

For the past 4 years the IEEE Society and the TV.Industry and Microsoft have

been discussing the adoption of a 2nd Standard to suit Wide Screen TV's and

the new breed of Wide Screen PC.Monitors.

It looks almost certain that they will adopt 1280x800 pixel as the 2nd Standard

thats a 16:10 Format compared to the existing TV 16:9 ratio ~ 1280x720 pixels.

(A small difference).

Try 'experimenting' with 1280x800 pixels (Pte Windows Mode) and try that on

your Wide Screen TV and on a Wide Screen PC Monitor.

1280x800 is approx: (16.66" x 11.10" inches) this is whats called a 'generic-ratio'

and larger Screens will automatically resize to this ratio, so will smaller W-Screens.

Hope this is of some help...

Brian.Conflow.

also

SEE

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5408

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=42801

also check the help file

link in my signature

Jeff has a wide screen so likely there will be an entry -- the manual is +- 7.5 mb pdf file

ken

I'm still confused. I use 1024 x768. I need several dvd's for people. Should I size and burn at 4:3 and another at 16:9. I have been using 4:3 and find it crops on my non widescreen.

Bob W.

Bob and Stevie,

Bob you wrote..."I'm still confused. I use 1024 x768. I need several dvd's for people,should I size

and burn at 4:3 and another at 16:9. I have been using 4:3 and find it crops on my non widescreen"....

Guys ~

This is a very simple issue which I made as clear as possible in my origional Conflow Posting ~

(The 1st reply to Stevie in this thread).

We are talking about two Industries:- The TV Industry and the Audio/Video Industry.

Both Industries are adopting the "Wide Screen Format" which is 16:9 size ratio (soon to be 16:10).

Our old (in-use) A/V Format is the 4:3 size ratio and it certainly won't fill a Wide Screen.

Like all Standards there is an adoption 'change-over period' where we are given time to adapt to

the new Standard. There is no "Converter" to change one Format to the another and visa-versa,

but Image Editors are available which will "auto-crop" the old 1024x768 to the new 1280x800 size.

Like it or not, you have to make 2 Copies of your A/V Show:- 1xNormal Size and 1xWide Screen.

The choice is yours as most DVD Burn-Programs offer you the choice's anyway.

Thats the price we pay for progress......Why not burn both copies on to the DVD ?

Brian.Conflow.

I have been using 4:3 and find it crops on my non widescreen.

The answer to this question, that the 4:3 setting still ends up cropping on your NON widescreen TV, has to do with how P2E handles the conversion. It comes down to this.

1. Your photo is 1024 x 768 which is 4:3 (sometimes represented as the ratio 1.3333)

2. P2E scales your photo to 640 x 480 which is also 4:3

2. The DVD standard is 720x480 which is 3:2 (sometimes represented as the ratio 1.5)

3. P2E has to do one of two things to make this work

A. Stretch the image along the horizontal direction

or

B. Add black boxes (40 pixels wide) on both the left and right of the image

For some reason the developers have chosen the first option (A) so that the image fills the entire space of the 720x480 DVD frame. They may not stretch it directly, but by setting the DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) to 4:3 and different from the SAR (Sample or source Aspect Ratio) of 3:2 does the same thing. You can check this using the utility GSPot. Since all analog or standard TVs overscan, the image gets cropped both on the left and right as well as somewhat distorted.

However, if you choose the Create AVI file AND use the Create custom AVI video file using 720 x 480 for the width and height, P2E will use option (B) and produce a 720x480 video file with 40 pixel borders on either side. I prefer this option because it preserves the aspect ratio of the image and results in being able to see almost all of the image on most analog TVs (I think a great use of the differences in aspect ratios between 4:3 digital cameras and the DVD format). However, you will have to use a 3rd party DVD authoring program to make the DVD.

Steve Newcomb

Tucson, AZ