WnSoft Forums

Burning AVI to DVD

Davidh12

I am trying to burn a DVD in Videobuilder using an avi file captured from a video in Ulead Videostudio.

I can bring it to the bottom and click 'next', then 'start', the following screen says 18.00.00 - start, 18.00.00 - converting to MPEG2 etc, 18.00.00 - canceled by user (I haven't done anything) 18.00.00 - Deleting of temporary files, 18.00.00 - Finished

when I hit close I'm back to PTE.

Anybody any ideas? have I got a setting wrong or is there something it doesn't like about the AVI file and just gives me the message canceled by user?

Using PTE 5.1 Beta#9

David

Well I have got the size down to 1.5 Gb but still the same problem.

Useful little program that Tom (Virtualdub) thanks.

I downloaded it and tried cuting out part of the video, saving it as avi, oldavi and sgment avi but to no avail.

Also downloaded latest release of PTE5.1. Still getting this cancelled by user as above?

any other ideas anyone?

David

an avi > than 1 gb, will have a tough time going on a standard dvd disk by the time it is encoded

-- the other day i was tryng to do a +- 700 mb avi movie clip with nero and it told me it was too big for a standard disc it would have to resize the file to a different format or for me to use a series 9 disc -- dual layer i believe

i went for the resized version which gave me a +- 2" border top and bottom

ken

David,

Try using Video Builder to make your AVI into a MPG2 file first ... without creating a DVD. Verify its new file size in MPG2 format.

Tom's and Ken's comments have very vaild points to consider into your conversion ... the orig avi size, codec/compression used, etc.

Size/Conversion Example:

AVI file specs- 480W x 360H, using no sound, 12 sec duration ,divX codec = 1.30 mb file

converted to:

MPG2 file specs- 640W x 480H = 10.3 mb file. (using Video Builder for the format conversion)

Tom & Ken

Thanks for getting back

First of all excuse my ignorance I haven't played around with video much.

I have managed to create what I was after which was a PTE slideshow and an AVI video file on DVD but through Ulead VideoStudio SE. So to answer Ken's point it fitted on the disk at least through this software (or have I got that wrong).Though it would be nice to do it through Videobuilder as the quality of the slideshow is much better.

Tom

The avi file is uncompressed at least that's what the software is saying. As regards codecs I'm not sure the instruction manual talks about Microsoft DirectX-A driver being installed automatically.

You mentioned:

'Also, make sure you have enough free disk space for the temporary file(s) created. This can be set in Video Builder under Project Options, Programs tab.'

I have looked under here and it just gives me the option of where to put the temporary file, nothing about disk space. Have I misunderstood?

It would seem this whole area is more complex and like lots of things in computers there are avi files and there are avi files.

I'll see if I can save it as M-PEG2 format (if the program allows me) as you suggested and see how it works out.

Thanks again both

David

EDIT

Nobeefstu

Was wriiting the above while you were posting your contributions. I have tried your suggestion but I get almost the same message as when I go the dvd way 'cancelled by user'. I don't know eactly what Videobuilder means by this but it is obviously rejecting the file.

Thanks

David,

Please provide more AVI specs. Just right-click the AVI file in Explorer/folder and select Properties. Select Summary tab and relay the details it provides.

Also ... does your AVI have sound ?

*Make a section of your AVI file (first 100 mb) and save just that to a new single AVI file using your popular video software/editors. Try the new AVI in Video Builder and convert to MPG2.

* The 'Canceled by User' is a general/default term used by Video Builder on undeclared errors.

Nobeefstu

Thanks for your continued help.

Properties of AVI file (1,479,537KB) which includes audio are as follows:

IMAGE 640 x 480 pixels

AUDIO

Diration 00:01:06

Bitrate 1536 kbps

Audio sample size 16bit

Audio Format PCM

VIDEO

Frame rate 24 frames/second

Sample size 24 bit

Compression Uncompressed

I will make a smaller section and maybe even recapture it and try again (maybe tomorrow got to work now).

Thanks again

David