WnSoft Forums

Cutting DVD causing system hang

Been using pictexe 5 for a while and find it great to use. Just bought the DVD cutting option and this doesn't seem to work. T

he system gets started producing the mpeg files then gets on to start cutting dvd. It gets to 99% then hangs. The system is jammed and needs a reboot to get restarted. The DVD disk is cut (ie you can see a physical change on it) but it doesn't play on any system. Any ideas, as I need it to do a presentation at the weekend! Thanks in advance for help.

Been using pictexe 5 for a while and find it great to use. Just bought the DVD cutting option and this doesn't seem to work. T

he system gets started producing the mpeg files then gets on to start cutting dvd. It gets to 99% then hangs. The system is jammed and needs a reboot to get restarted. The DVD disk is cut (ie you can see a physical change on it) but it doesn't play on any system. Any ideas, as I need it to do a presentation at the weekend! Thanks in advance for help.

Try to reduce the burning speed, close all other programs on the computer, as this is either memory or space problem, not software. It happened with me once but worked next time. It usually happens when trying to close/finish the DVD burning process. I hope this helps.

SD

Depending on the speed of your computer and the size of the DVD file, it is common for the program to appear to hang at the 99% mark. Usually it isn't really hung, just be patient and let it sit, and it will eventually finish by itself. It can take quite a while, and like the watched pot that never boils, sitting watching the screen will make it seem longer than it is.

Colin

Depending on the speed of your computer and the size of the DVD file, it is common for the program to appear to hang at the 99% mark. Usually it isn't really hung, just be patient and let it sit, and it will eventually finish by itself. It can take quite a while, and like the watched pot that never boils, sitting watching the screen will make it seem longer than it is.

Colin

Thanks for comment. Unfortunately it really does hang ie the computer clock stops running and if I leave if overnight it's still in the same place, and needs a full reboot as control alt delete does nothing. At other times the computer hangs in others places on the mpeg encoding or other places. Updating my graphics driver speeds it up until it hangs. Not looking hopeful. My computer is about 3 years old and I suspect the programme doesn't like an ati radeon 9600 graphics card.

There was a 99% bug with earlier versions of PTE 5 beta.

I would upgrade to 5.1 if you are on an earlier version.

Also make sure you use high quality media (not Memorex or other bargain media).

Tom.

Tom,

thanks for help. Finally sorted it by flashing new firmware to my DVD driver (Lite-on LH18).

Now works fine. So thanks for input,

Guy

Hi

Could you please explain what you mean by flashing new firmware to your driver incase I get the same problem as you. Have not done a burn yet on 5.1 as I have only just upgraded

thanks

Jean

Jean,

don't quote me on this as I'm far from an expert. As I understand it, cd/dvd cutters all use a standard microsoft driver (unlike your printer etc which has a custom written driver), so that they can be used to boot up from. ie the driver in windows will run any cd/dvd rom drive. So to update the software that runs them, they have an internal memory which can be upgraded. This is called flash memory. If you type your dvd writer and driver into google, you'll come across a programme to upgrade the 'firmware' as its called, in the dvd writer. easy to do, sounds complicated but isn't.

But.... actually my problem isn't over. Because I did this and it then worked, I thought... problem solved. It seems that working was a one off abberation and I'm back to the sticking permanently at 99% cut. System doesn''t hang but no usable disk. I'm finding this very frustrating, as software that work once then never again but eats a fresh DVDr each time is the pits!

Guy

Jean,

don't quote me on this as I'm far from an expert. As I understand it, cd/dvd cutters all use a standard microsoft driver (unlike your printer etc which has a custom written driver), so that they can be used to boot up from. ie the driver in windows will run any cd/dvd rom drive. So to update the software that runs them, they have an internal memory which can be upgraded. This is called flash memory. If you type your dvd writer and driver into google, you'll come across a programme to upgrade the 'firmware' as its called, in the dvd writer. easy to do, sounds complicated but isn't.

But.... actually my problem isn't over. Because I did this and it then worked, I thought... problem solved. It seems that working was a one off abberation and I'm back to the sticking permanently at 99% cut. System doesn''t hang but no usable disk. I'm finding this very frustrating, as software that work once then never again but eats a fresh DVDr each time is the pits!

Guy

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I have had this problem of sticking or not being recognised on the television with Pte 5. Not all the time. One problem was burning 2 shows on the same DVD with both not being produced in PTE 5delux one was before the final version was released. I opened up both versions in PTE 5 delux and created (saved) and hey presto all fine. Another problem I have encountered is DVD RW. I do not get them to work for me it has to be DVD R.

Good to be part of such a good forum

Jean

guym,

Have you tested using other dvd brands/formats ? If you tried only with DVD+R format type discs for example ... try with DVD-R. DVD burners can be pretty picky on particular disc 'brands' and 'formats' they prefer. Consult the manual that came with your DVD burner for recommended brands and formats.

Have you tried as Sari Davis posted above as to reducing burn speed and closing unnecessary programs ? Pcs can usually handle multi-tasking ... but disc burning isnt necessarily one of them.