WnSoft Forums

Upgrade P2E

Bob Brant

I Just purchased a new PC and will be buying P2E for the new computer, but I also want my old one to be upgraded to match. I understand that upgrades are free but I've never upgraded; how is it done? I've looked and can't find any Program Keys/License numbers etc for my present program, or aren't they needed? My present version is 4.31.

I Just purchased a new PC and will be buying P2E for the new computer, but I also want my old one to be upgraded to match. I understand that upgrades are free but I've never upgraded; how is it done? I've looked and can't find any Program Keys/License numbers etc for my present program, or aren't they needed? My present version is 4.31.

I haven't loaded 4.31 as it was before my interest in PTE, but the current versions, 4.48 and 5.1n use a program key that is resident in the registry, and upgrades will find it there automatically. Igor has committed PTE to lifetime upgrades, so once a current key is in registry you can just keep upgrading.

The VideoBuilder section of PTE (Contained within the PTE program but activated separately) requires a second key which is likewise stored in the registry, but it is renewable on a 2-yearly cycle, i.e. VideoBuilder upgrades are free for 2 years, after which another license has to be purchased if you want to continue upgrading.

When you purchase PTE and/or the 'deluxe' version (which unlocks the VideoBuilder section) you will get an email with the registry keys as text files, which are then inserted into the registry via Regedit.

As for your old computer, be aware that PTE 5 has many addtional features that were not in the 4 series, specially the pan/zoom/rotate functions (known as PZR functions), which together with program changes use hardware rendering via the graphics chip. This is done to enable the best possible image display, but because of this the graphics chip has a lot of work to do, and not all video cards are up to the job. Your old computer will need a graphics card with a minimum of 128 KB (preferably 256KB) of memory, something like an Nvidia GeForce 7600 or better, and also a CPU running at 1GHz or better. The graphics card specs will apply to your new machine as well.

Colin

• 4 weeks later...