WnSoft Forums

Narrow Boat Trip

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I really enjoyed it,liked the opening very much and found the use of pan and zoom fitting well with the subject.

My only criticism would be that some of the slides were on screen a wee bit too long.

Some great images and I look forward to seeing more.

All the best

Neil

Not long before Christmas I took a trip on the River Ouse on my brother-in-law's narrow boat.

A morning on the river Ouse

A very relaxing trip down the river. The music worked well with the images. I really liked the opening; it showed me how much I have yet to learn. I thought the zooms worked well to create a sense of floating on the river. The speeds of the pans and zooms seemed suitable to the music and scenery. However, I'd liked to have seen fewer animations and also mix up the stills with the animations just a bit more. As Neil said previously, the stills hang a little too long for my taste. Shortening them by 1 or 2 seconds would be perfect. One further comment on the pans and zooms. I have finally learned, and it took awhile, to pan and/or zoom only if it adds information and/or meaning to the scene. The pan and zoom can be used to add a broader context to what you are showing us. If there is nothing additional to see, just keep it as a still. After having said all of this, I'll be scared to death to ever include a pan or zoom in any of my future presentations. :<).

I've been presumptious about critiquing your work. All in all, it was enjoyable. I especially appreciate you having the courage, and it takes courage, to share your work with us. I wish more people would share what they are working on. I've not seen a show yet that I didn't learn something from, or enjoy in some fashion. For this I thank you.

Dave

Hi Keith,

I can see what you were aiming for here. I agree with what has been said above in relation to the timings of the pans and zooms But I would like, if I may, to offer you some more feedback. IMHO I see pans and zoom as a way of getting a message across to the viewer. I think you use it too often and for many of the sequences a simple long fade in/out would have been more appropriate and effective in you aim of creating a tranquil and relaxing setting. There are occasions were it works really well and gives the impression of travelling on the river. In all your zooms I think you zoom to much and this creates too much movement and undermines your intention of creating a tranquil and relaxing setting. Try zooming from 110% to 100 or out from 90% to 100% - this creates a very smooth flow and can be coupled with a really slow fade (8 secs transition, 2 sec image shown).

I think your music choice is good but IMHO it starts too abruptly.