WnSoft Forums

Experience with beamer of type Canon XEED SX50

xahu34

Hello,

until now, when using monitors with S-PVA panels up to resolutions of 1800x1200 with my PC (AMD 64 X2 5000+, nvidia 8500GT, 2GB RAM) I did not recognize any problems with the few shows I made so far: Typically with images having a slight pan-and-zoom effect which continues during normal alpha-blending transitions. Pictures in upright mode are just panned. So, nothing exiting happens.

The other day I used the PC with a beamer of type Canon XEED SX50. Here I had to notice the following: Arbitrary sequences of zooming/panning images behaved well, provided that the single images did not stay too long. Images like my panning uprights (15 sec) showed with this beamer a synchronization effect, a line running from top to bottom.

Then I tested the show "Cliff Palace" by Lin Evans, showing an impressing single panorama (i.e. long lasting pan/zoom-effect within one image). Here these synchronization effects appeared any 12-13 seconds (sometimes hardly to notice, but actually present). In between, anything was ok.

Has anybody made similar observations with this particular beamer, or with other ones?

Kind regards

xahu34

Munich

Hi Xahu,

I experienced something similar during a presentation in October 2007 with a Canon X600. I am using Vista Home Premium, all images are 1600 x 1200 although the beamer has only a native resolution of 1024 x 768. On that particular evening the presentation was already "running" (first slide was a black slide; manual advance) while I gave a speech. Before I finished my speech, the "no signal" sign appeared on screen. After this experience I changed my power settings to never turn off the display, never put the computer to sleep and maximum brightness for both conditions (on battery and plugged in). This has helped me so I know longer see a black line running from top to bottom. I also exit the anti virus program and firewall and clean the cache of Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Bridge.

When I look carefully at the slides with panning (either horizontally or vertically) I can still see some minor shimmering. As I rarely use PZR effects in my presentations I can bear with it. I have to admit that I never tried the show with images adjusted to the native resolution of the projector.

That's all I can say to your post. As I will travel until February 26, 2008, I may not be able to access the Internet.

Hello Hartmut,

thank you for your reply. The effect which you noticed (minor shimmering with panning images) seams to be a quite natural one. In case you also zoom, the shimmering will significantly increase, but can be reduced by blurring the image. The problem that I am talking about is a totally different thing. Here the beamer seems to produce output frames whose upper parts belong to different (earlier) input frames than the ones used for the lower parts. This may happen when the graphics card's frame rate is temporarily too low. The astonishing thing for me is, that the synchronization error appears during constant zooming/panning only if the source consists of a single image. In cases where the images change any 10 seconds (without interrupting the p/z-effect), the error does not occur.

In the meantime I learned from others of our camera club, using expensive notebooks with ATI graphics cards and who program their shows with m.objects, that there are similar error effects when using the same beamer.

Kind regards

xahu34

Munich