WnSoft Forums

Viewing Network Drives with Vista

bwat

I have just purchased a new laptop running Vista Home Premium and have updated and installed PTE 5.1. The programme runs Ok but my Network Drives (on my Xp Desktop computer) are not displayed on the drive list (top LH screen) or the file tree. I am able to access all drives via 'file/open and open pte files and show selected image files in the file list. I am not however able to view other image files in the directory on the pte file drive to enable additonal images to be added.

How do I get PTE 5.1 to display the network drives or how can I access them to add images.

I am not experiencing any problems with other programmes so it is not a Vista share problem but appears to be in PTE 5.1.

bwat,

You most likely need to Map your network drives. Right-click desktop My Computer icon to map your drives selections. Or use the Tools drop-down menu.

Thanks for your reply.

Drives are mapped OK. They can be read from Explorer on the Vista machine and from other applications such as ACDSee, etc. It is only PTE that is not reading them.

bwat,

Drives are mapped OK.

Im not familar Vista OS. To verify your network drives are truly mapped ... Open My Computer and you should visably see the drive icons of all your Vista drives including those of any mapped drives from your network. You should be able to click any of those drive icons to open to the drives root directory. (Im not talking accessing from Windows Explorer)

If you dont see any drive icons of your network drives in My Computer window ... you need to map them.

bwat,

Im not familar Vista OS. To verify your network drives are truly mapped ... Open My Computer and you should visably see the drive icons of all your Vista drives including those of any mapped drives from your network. You should be able to click any of those drive icons to open to the drives root directory. (Im not talking accessing from Windows Explorer)

If you dont see any drive icons of your network drives in My Computer window ... you need to map them.

Are you able to access your Vista Drives in Pte v5.1 from your Xp OS ?

Note:

Just because a drive may be in your Network ... does not make it a Mapped (Network) Drive. You need to physically Map it yourself. If you right-click a mapped drive you should also be able to disconnect it at logon.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Many thanks for your pointers. I had mapped network drives but there appears a 'quirk' in Vista. If you map selecting the icon in 'network' it maps the drive as a folder. Your pointer of right clicking to disconnect could not be carried out. However by selecting the drive in the folder tree and mapping from there the drives are correctly mapped with a drive icon in 'computer' rather than a folder icon.

All is now correct in PTE.

Many, many thanks for your help.