WnSoft Forums

New TFT Monitor

Severn Bore

I am currently using an Iiyama Vision Master pro CRT monitor with a 19" screen. It gives excellent results, but after about 8 years sterling service, I am thinking of changing it for a TFT monitor. I know CRT is still hard to beat, but can anyone advise on a TFT monitor with a screensize of up to about 22" that would do justice to my mainly photographic work. It would ideally have full colour control and good contrast. <_<

I am currently using an Iiyama Vision Master pro CRT monitor with a 19" screen. It gives excellent results, but after about 8 years sterling service, I am thinking of changing it for a TFT monitor. I know CRT is still hard to beat, but can anyone advise on a TFT monitor with a screensize of up to about 22" that would do justice to my mainly photographic work. It would ideally have full colour control and good contrast. <_<

Hi

I have just purchased an HP w2007v monitor and it is a 21" screen. I am absolutely delighted with it. I suggest you go to a shop like John Lewis or some shop in your area that will allow you to display your photos via a CD DVD or flash drive so as to convince yourself. HP also does a 22" screen and a 24" screen. You will not be disapointed

Jean

Since 3 months I am the proud owner of the NEC MultiSync LCD 2470WNX and I am very very happy with this screen. Perfect colors, good color controle and calibrating the screen is no problem with my Spyder2.

The 24" (1920 x 1200) gives me so much workingspace when using Lightroom/PtE and other software, I love this LCD. HP, Dell and Mac screens have good reviews with 24" screens too.

But beware for low budget LCD's because most of them have 6 bits panels which gives you no more then 8^6 = 262144 colors, while 8 bits does 8^8 = 16.777.216 colors!!

André

Some things to consider:

With a monitor as large as 1920x1200 if you intend to fill the screen with your PTE creations (and I am a fan of FILLING the screen) your images are going to be 2.3M (ish) pixels. Convert that into a JPEG and you are going to be looking at LARGE JPEGS. So you will need a MIGHTY powerful graphics card, especially for those PZR effects.

The next generation of projectors (I hate the word Beamer!!) is going to be 1400x1050 for some time so that could be a consideration. Why have bigger than 1050 pixels high if you are not going to project at that res? If you are lucky (wealthy) enough to own a 1920x1080 projector then you will find that the aspect ratios do not match up anyway.

If you decide on a 1200 pixel high monitor and make your creations at a lower res then you are faced with a small (ish) show in the middle of the screen. BB has gotten around this with an elegant solution and it is worth a look.

I am going with a 1050 high monitor for the time being.

DaveG