WnSoft Forums

A different perspective and application

Peter S

This is a small download (5.2MB) to provide an unusual example (I think) of an application for PTE.

Now don't all laugh but... I play croquet.

I became very frustrated trying to follow instructions printed in black and white with balls that just sat on a page. So I set about producing a guide in colour with moving balls, a commentary and a perspective view of the court. It is not what PTE was originally intended for but it works quite well. I could improve the realism by using non linear motion and have done that elsewhere. This is just a small section to show the idea and to seek any suggestions as to how this could be improved. Sorry if you find the subject of little interest it's only 3 minutes and 7 seconds!

Download from Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?4xtdenrk7ew

Kind regards

Peter

Thank you, Peter, for an excellent demonstration. I am very glad that you are teaching us Association Croquet and not the inferior Garden Croquet which some of us in this part of the world have to play.

Please continue with the good work.

May I suggest that you have a go at making the start absolutely clear — I find that some people still argue about roqueting if they haven't been through the first hoop. (I know your example implies the correct situation, but it needs to be spelt out.) Also, what about having a look at the boundary conditions and where exactly to place the ball on return to the game. The rules are quite clear, but arguments still arise.

Many congratulations on starting such a good and necessary work.

John

This is a small download (5.2MB) to provide an unusual example (I think) of an application for PTE.

This is just a small section to show the idea and to seek any suggestions as to how this could be improved. Sorry if you find the subject of little interest it's only 3 minutes and 7 seconds!

Hello Peter

Croquet is as chinese for me :rolleyes: but I find that this use of PTE is interesting.

Your explanations are very clearly understanding, even for me french.

Patrick

Yet another use for PTE, very well demonstrated Peter.

As Patrick said it is all Chinese to me as well, however the game of croquet looks more interesting than I thought it was.

The suggestions I have as to how this could be improved depend on your aim.

From the prospective of someone who knows nothing of the game I followed what you were doing but why did you do it? What was the aim?

I think this is an effective technique for making an AV instruction manual on the game for a beginner, and to show various strategies for middle level and advanced players.

There may be a whole new market here for sport and game manuals/tutorials made with PTE!! Anyone interested? :D:P:)

Hi Ken,

Good memory! Yes it is a further development of that earlier work. (I gave up on rolling balls.) It took me some time to realize the potential of a "3D" approach rather than a flat plan view. I created the hoops as PNGs so you can actually see the balls run through the hoops which is nice.

As John says this may have potential application for quite a few sports.

The objective of the posting was just to demonstrate the concept. I have quite a bit more material with a menu, instructions on using the navigation bar and/or keyboard to move around a replay various sections. This starts with a simple explanation of the court and the game and I intend to build it into a complete guide but it is quite time consuming particularly matching up the sound with the visual elements.

Kind regards

Peter

The objective of the posting was just to demonstrate the concept. I have quite a bit more material with a menu, instructions on using the navigation bar and/or keyboard to move around a replay various sections. This starts with a simple explanation of the court and the game and I intend to build it into a complete guide

Now I understand the aim you have with this project, I would say you are on the right track. The use of menu and the navigation bar would be essential to the projects success. The "3D" prospective works well. This is quite a task you have taken on.

Will the final show be generally available? If so put me on the list please. Always looking for something new to do with the little free time I have.

it is quite time consuming particularly matching up the sound with the visual elements.

I have produced shows that require the same precise timing of the audio and images and it is indeed very time consuming. Hopefully with the addition of the basic audio editing in PTE, that Igor has promised us, we will reduce the time spent jumping between applications and also allow much quicker alignment of the two within PTE.

Good luck with the project Peter.