WnSoft Forums

copyright

t.millar

Sorry to be a pest I recently asked some things and got some replies to the questitions.

However one in particular is starting to haunt me! on entry forms it states that all copyright should be sought,

part of what I want to do was give the impression you (the audience) where reading a book and I wanted to

take a few shot of a book which I own. Therefore to keep myself right as there are a few pieces of artwork

I wrote asking permission to use and received a reply that it would cost me $75 per item. THe book I was

going to use only cost me £29-95 I think and now having to pay say an extra $225 for three pages seems very high!!

Has anyone else come up against this problem and apart from paying the fee is there any way around it?

Stonewall,

Is it necessary that the audience can read the text in the book?

If it are only some shots in a slide show, with timings of a few seconds, nobody can read the text then, or the slides of the pages will be very long on the screen.

Just take some shots of the pages of your book, "blur" the text in an image editor, or put some unreadable text in place, as: Pjksfdj khgfgekg hhdnlh ieu ieu kd heiud geiugeiu, dgcg uycg ugc gcm.

Just an idea.

Greetings,

Cor

Stonewall,

Someone is 'trying it on' with you ~ what a load of old rubbish~ and a right chancer too. If that

was the case the entire Worlds population would be in Prison for 'Photocopying Documents'

All you have to do is acknowledge the 'Works of the Author' in the Credits Screen of your Show

and make sure the Show CD-Disc contains a 'EULA Document' (End-User Licence Agreement) as

required by E.U.Copyright Law. This acknowledges any contributions to your Show which is made

for purely personal purposes and contains no element of monetary reward for the Show.

Alternatively look at the 'Flysheet of the Book' an see if there is an ISBN Registration Number

and Barcode ~ if not, it has no International Copyright Licence, and if it has, it must be registered

with Cambridge University~Oxford University and Trinity College Dublin and other Associated

Instutitions. These Establishments will confirm/deny Copyright on request, and will also issue an

Educational Licence to any accredited member of the Public, for a period, for a small fee.

If you wish to produce these Shows in Public on an ongoing basis ~ join the British Copyright Assoc.

It costs some thing like £27 per Annum.

Brian.Conflow.

thanks guy's for your help unfortunatley it is not the words but the artwork that is the problem?

The book contains art work by an artist that is still living and that is where the problem lies.

Also as far as I can remember as I don't have the book with me now it does have a isbn code and it is a one only show

at present as I have stated it is a first attempt at AV and this was an idea I had as I have some nice shots

to go with it.

Stonewell,

Thats no problem, you can still get a 'Non-Commercial Licence' and whether the Author is living or dead

has nothing to do with it. Like 'Music' or any other 'Art-Form' once its published for Public consumption and

it comes into the Public Domain you have a perfect Legal-Right to a 'limited-Licence' ~ follow it up.

Brian.