WnSoft Forums

Non-linear transitions

johndigi

Hello,

In the PTE 5.0 User's Guide (bottom of pg 43) it says that when making non-linear transitions, you should separate the keypoints by clicking on the scissors icon. In the 5.5 User's Guide, it says in the Linearity section (pg 32) that you should NOT separate the keypoints or the transitions will not be smooth. I'm confused - that happens a lot :rolleyes:

It seems logical to me that you would not want to separate the keypoints but I am a rookie at this so I know there is an awful lot that I do not understand.

Which is correct? Or am I reading something incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

John L

Hi John,

Download and watch my tutorial on Non-Linear here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

Essentially you do your animations in regular linear mode then go back and click on "Smooth" for all three (Pan, Zoom, Rotate) which is explained in the AVI tutorial. Next you click on "Setting Up" and you then click on each "separate here".

Once you fully understand non-linear motion you may want to experiment with the effects possible by leaving some keyframes glued and some separated, but if you want "smooth" movement between keypoints you "must" separate them.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello,

In the PTE 5.0 User's Guide (bottom of pg 43) it says that when making non-linear transitions, you should separate the keypoints by clicking on the scissors icon. In the 5.5 User's Guide, it says in the Linearity section (pg 32) that you should NOT separate the keypoints or the transitions will not be smooth. I'm confused - that happens a lot :rolleyes:

It seems logical to me that you would not want to separate the keypoints but I am a rookie at this so I know there is an awful lot that I do not understand.

Which is correct? Or am I reading something incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

John L

Lin,

Once again, thanks for all your help! Your answer was my understanding until I read the 5.5 User's Guide, which seems to say the opposite. I did some animations with non-linear transitions as you have described, and the effect was much better than linear. With linear the zoom seemed to jerk at the beginning - this is much better.

John

Hi John,

That is very confusing. I believe that part of the official user guide needs further attention and a change.

The way it works is if you do "not" separate the keypoints then when a non-linear motion such as smooth is chosen, the motion will "only" reflect keypoint one and the end keypoint no matter what animations you have programmed in between.

For example, if you zoom in, then pan, then zoom out and pan again and don't separate keypoints, your animation will simply be zoom in and "pan again" and will ignore the keypoints in between the first and last. Obviously, that's not what was intended.

So the instructions in the "unofficial" user guide in this case are correct. I suspect that the translator made a mistake in the "official" user guide and the word "glued" should be substituted for "separated". I will bring Igor's attention to this.

Best regards,

Lin