WnSoft Forums

Preventing screengrabs

bjc

Igor,,,

Just a thought, but, might the inclusion of the option ‘ON ANY INPUT – EXIT’ (Project Options – Advanced Tab) provide a solution to the ability to screengrab slideshow images via third party software (over and above disabling ‘Print Screen’) ? Whilst of course this would not overcome the recording of live screen video (or time-lapse) any input from the end-viewer (such as a mouse-click or key press) would exit the slideshow immediately. This could well be valid option in cases where the slideshow is designed to run from beginning to end without any input from the end-user.

Another thought – would it be worth considering adding ‘WHEN SHOW ENDS – RUN APPLICATION AND EXIT’ to the Project Options / Main Tab / Show Settings ? This feature would add an easy-to-use option for those wishing to simply ‘chain-link’ slideshows, when more than one slideshow is contained on a single CD. (the final slideshow could then ‘chain-link’ back to the first !?)

One more question (a repeat of an earlier request) – are we any closer to having ‘animated-gifs’ included in the types of image files we can use in PTE ? Whilst I realise that this option might not be at the top of everyone’s wish-list, however, the ability to use animated-gifs would provide the perfect solution for all those who wish to include animated ‘title-slides’ at the beginnings or ‘rolling-credits’ endings of their slideshows.

Regards,

bjc

Nice thought bjc - to detect input, but you go on to say how easily this is foiled. And everyone knows the tricks. You may as well take your finger out of the dike and run!

And on another request that you made, you have some rewarding exploration to do in the new v4.10 beta release!:

Another thought – would it be worth considering adding ‘WHEN SHOW ENDS – RUN APPLICATION AND EXIT’ to the Project Options / Main Tab / Show Settings ? This feature would add an easy-to-use option for those wishing to simply ‘chain-link’ slideshows, when more than one slideshow is contained on a single CD. (the final slideshow could then ‘chain-link’ back to the first !?)

The great Igor hereby grants this ever so popular wish!!! For any slide, click on "Customize slide". In the "Main" tab toward the bottom in the "Advanced options" section, check the box "Run external application" !!! Do this customization on your last slide and you can do exactly what you are asking Igor for in PTE. Your show will run the next and exit!

Regarding your other request to the great HO UDINI:

One more question (a repeat of an earlier request) – are we any closer to having ‘animated-gifs’ included in the types of image files we can use in PTE ? Whilst I realise that this option might not be at the top of everyone’s wish-list, however, the ability to use animated-gifs would provide the perfect solution for all those who wish to include animated ‘title-slides’ at the beginnings or ‘rolling-credits’ endings of their slideshows.

Regards,

bjc

I can save you the trouble on that one - there's more magic in your future! B)

Good spotting, Bill! Igor hadn't mentioned the external application feature in his list of new features (unless it is included in "other various improvements" :) ).

It takes a little care in setting this feature up - you have to be sure the current music has finished playing before calling up the slide with the instruction to "run external application" as the instruction seems to kick in as soon as the slide loads (at least in preview mode). There are lots of possible permutations here, so it will take some time in order to thoroughly test this application and all its possibilities. Great feature to have, though! Thanks Igor!

Just a little picky problem in connection with this feature - the "browse" button doesn't seem to work. Haven't tried it in the new beta #2 yet.

The need for sound fade out is a good point Al. I vaguely recall Igor talking about next new PTE having smooth sound halt at show end. I haven't yet tested for that.

So to use on last slide it may be best to fade music in next-to-last slide and when faded, the last slide will be scheduled to start and cause application call. The last slide display time would be set to less than a second in this case.

A non-sync show issue: With "Run application" here is one other sticky situation for (1) the need for BOTH run application AND exit, and (2) sound fades: When you want an early exit from show with or without running another application. I recently created an AutoIt utility that fades sound to silence. And I've created yet another AutoIt utility that recognizes P2E shows, starts P2E shows and manipulates them as active or hidden. To "force-app-close" the show is just another single command function in AutoIt and hence a cakewalk. So the obvious conclusion is to combine the sound fade utility with a "force-app-close" for the P2E show that started the utility, with optional "Run" of another app or slideshow from the utility.

This new feature will open the door to a host of new show magic! But Igor didn't give us "Goto slide number" capability in slide customization, that I could find. A "Goto slide number" feature can allow us to have show flow control where you select a topic by link clicks and the show returns to topic directory slide when done, for example.

Bill,

As you probably know, you can go to a particular slide from a button in the object editor. So, you could set up the capability for custom "threads" by repeating slide sequences, and having the selection buttons at the start of the show go to the sequence you want. The problem of having the show return to the first "menu" slide could be solved by having another copy of the menu slide at the end of each sequence or "thread" which would then allow you to choose another path or "thread". If you set the time-on-screen for each "menu" slide to 1000 sec., it would allow you plenty of time to sit and think about which sequence or external application you wanted to select next.

You could probably also accomplish this even more easily by using a short one or two-slide show as the introduction, and allow viewers to select individual mini-slide shows from there, each with their own set of end-instructions and menu-slides if desired.

The only deficiency in this modus-operandi, as I see it, is suitable control over the music in having it start up in the proper place when jumping to other slides.

Bill,,

Thank you for the feedback and info re: my posting.

(a) – as you rightly say (and as I point out) there would still be ways and means around the ‘ON INPUT – EXIT’ option, however, as an additional option over and above the ‘disable printscreen’ option I think it would still be a step in the right direction. The ‘average’ end-user seldom even realises the existence, or indeed the function, of the PrintScreen’ key – those with ‘more’ knowledge might even have third party ‘screengrab’ software – only the most adventurous (or determined) are likely to own screen-video-capture software. So for those producing standard slideshows for generalised viewing, or for those such as the professional photographer who wishes to provide clients with ‘preview’ slideshows of images captured – the ‘ON INPUT – EXIT’ option would, I feel, provide additional security against the misappropriation of images (?) – under ‘normal’ circumstances.

(:) – ‘Run External Application’ – (and EXIT - hopefully !?) – is to be included in the next release of PTE ?? – how wonderful !! – easily added to a ‘blank’ slide at the end of the show if it doesn’t wait until the ‘slide duration’ has expired – and the final blank slide could also be set to cancel the sound –(although ‘fade’ would be an added bonus) – this is excellent news and a wonderful addition to PTE.

© - “I can save you the trouble on that one - there's more magic in your future! “ – I’m sorry but I don’t fully understand the significance of this comment – is that a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’ ?

Regards,

bjc

OK bjc, I suppose we should have plenty of obstacles. It takes time for everyone to advance in those devious skills, so they will do less theft overall. A win.

In customize slide there is Run App, but not Run app and exit. Maybe Igor will add the latter during the beta releases (I hope so). If not, if the app that you run is a two-line utility script to kill the PTE show running and start something else, then you have a close match to "Run app and exit". Sound requires some effort. One idea is to have custom music (that fades) in the slide customized with the Run app (and exit by external magic). Another is to use a fading utility.

Search the forum for "AutoIt" (Auto+It, no spaces). Spend a little time learning about it and read forum notes about usage ideas. You'll be able to do some really cool stuff. When stumped please ask for help so you don't reinvent those wheels.

Decryptor:

Igor grants your wish (magic performed): You've got it now!

Magic in your future: It's not there yet!