WnSoft Forums

suggestion for 5.5 - keeping the same file extension of the project pt

Hello,

As my dad has got an old laptop, I use PicturesToExe 4.49 to create a "simple" version of a new show with simple effects. After creating the .exe from 4.49, I copy the project file, rename the copy to the new extension ".pte5" and I assigned Windows to open ".pte5" type files with the 5.1 version of PictureToExe (tipp: if you want to do that, too, rename pte.exe in its version 5 folder pte51.exe as Windows might not open the right .exe if you give to booth extensions the same .exe name, usually Windows will open both with the latest .exe associated).

Then I do a "polished" version with effects etc. in PictursToExe 5.1, it converts the 4.49 project copy to 5.1 and I have the framework of the show already there. Now, some of you may say, why doesn't he only create the show in 5.1 - as the version5 .exe will also run on any old laptop as it falls back to simple graphic display routines when old hardware is found and some of the fancier stuff will just not display (e.g. some of the animations). Well, you are right, Igor did a really reallly great job to make 5.1 exes also run on old laptops (with little RAM, poor graphics support etc) but I had several shows where the result on my dad's old laptoop looked very bad, some 5.1 features are being executed but they are so slow that it looks bad and I don't want to design animations by always having in mind how to design them that they look okay if some things are not done etc. also black screens one has to skip are not always nice. The way I described it is best for me, the "simple" version is basically pictures with simple fade effects some texts some music and that's it. It's also almost no additional work for me to do it that way, arranging basic pictures adding music - that's what I had to do anyway when I started in 5.1 directly.

So I have two project files of each show, a v4_<showname>.pte and a v5_showname.pte5 (and a v4_<showname>.exe and a v5_<showname>.exe) in my project folders, the .pte opens with 4.49. There is a little problem left: Pte5.1 opens the .pte5 file correctly (as I assigned .pte5 file extensions to it) but when I save the show, Pte5.1 renames the project to v5_<showname>.pte when saving - even though it was started with v5_<showname>.pte5. Of coures, when I double-click that project later, 4.49 will start with it and bring an error message (as 4.49 can not handle a 5.1 project file) so I always have to rename it back to .pte5 after an edit session in pte 5.1.

Suggestion: If pte5.5 could just remember the file extension it was called with (in my case .pte5) it would be great if it would keept that filename when saving. As pte found a legal project file, in my opinion, why not keep the filename including the extension, as the file was before... I described a bit why I would appreciate that little enhancement, if nobody else had a good reason why the renaming - as implemented now - is helpful, I would suggest this change for 5.5

Regards,

Volker