WnSoft Forums

DVD playability problems

Just began using the videobuilder, with version 5.5 beta 8. I have done 4 discs for tests and attempted to play them on 6 different machines. 2 players, 4 recording decks/burners. 2 of the decks don't see a disc. the 2 player-only machines see them and play them fine, at least as long as I observed them. This is a higher percentage of problems than I normally get. I tested two of the discs with a customer, since they were their orders. The husband is a software engineer and could not get either disc to be recognized on any of his 2 computers and one player.

Any ideas as to why the discs made through PTE are giving me problems?

I have used default settings, NTSC and burned at half speed where I could. Of some 4000 discs I've made, I've only had playability problems on about 35-40 discs. These 4 discs just made are defying that fine record.

Just began using the videobuilder, with version 5.5 beta 8. I have done 4 discs for tests and attempted to play them on 6 different machines. 2 players, 4 recording decks/burners. 2 of the decks don't see a disc. the 2 player-only machines see them and play them fine, at least as long as I observed them. This is a higher percentage of problems than I normally get. I tested two of the discs with a customer, since they were their orders. The husband is a software engineer and could not get either disc to be recognized on any of his 2 computers and one player.

Any ideas as to why the discs made through PTE are giving me problems?

I have used default settings, NTSC and burned at half speed where I could. Of some 4000 discs I've made, I've only had playability problems on about 35-40 discs. These 4 discs just made are defying that fine record.

Have you changed disk brands? Not all DVD disks are created equal. Try another good brand of disk if you can. Perhaps after that number of disks written the laser lenses in your burner need cleaning, or maybe you need a new burner.

Colin

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I've used the same brand discs for years now. I burn nothing but DVD-R and the brand is Taiyo Yuden. These have done better for me than all the other brands that come with printable labels. I'm sure the PTE program isn't sensitive to these discs any more than other programs. As mentioned before, I've burned thousands of these discs and never with the failure rate above 8-10%. I'm sure that the problem is simple and probably my fault, however I can't seem to remedy the situation. And, you know, maybe after another 20 or so burns, I might find that 2 out of 4 was simply a fluke. Maybe I'll go another 50 discs with no problem. Of course, I can't take that chance with my clients. I have one order right now for 50 copies of a show I produced. I don't want to have a large percent of those be bad. I need to know if there's anything within the video builder that might be doing this. Monday, I'll do 10 or 15 small shows and burn them. Maybe I have no problems at all and the fluke is simply that.

Ken, +R discs have only resulted in more problems for my clients, play problems are very high with them. Seems there are still a lot of machines out there that don't like or don't play +R. I'll stick with -R. Is anyone else having an abnormal number of bad burns?

A repeat of what I have often said in the past.

Elect to burn the ISO file to your computer. If it burns the ISO successfully you are half way there.

Another advantage of the ISO is that the burn is easily repeatable and is the same as COPY DISC.

I use ROXIO 8 for all my DVD burning and when I double click on any ISO file it opens up the COPY DISC Roxio interface.

I use Sony or TDK DVDs (cheapest versions) and sometimes some really cheap ones from the local supermarket - never a bad disc!

Oh, by the way, my desktop computer is not internet enabled so therefore no Norton, AVG etc.

DaveG

Nothing wrong with a WAG, Ken. I keep a spindle of +R discs only for those few customers that request them. That's not often. Otherwise, I'll set on them forever. Hate 'em.

Ken, are you using the VideoBuilder with success? Anyone else NOT having problems with playability?

Dave, the thing is, I really like the speed of the VideoBuilder program and I'm sure that the problem I'm seeing is not because of the program. I'm just trying to cover all the possibilities so I can start burning direct with the confidence that I had before. Burning ISO files is an extra step. I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Larry

Larry

Ken, are you using the VideoBuilder with success? -- have not made a show in months

SO JUST DONE ONE -- MADE FOLDERS, ISO AND BURNED DVD -R DISK

nothing fancy - 7.5 mins

can play dvd fine

can open iso with other 3 rd party tools

ken