WnSoft Forums

Off-Topic - Windows Vista Service Pack

fh1805

I have (or rather, my computer has) just completed the installation of Windows Vista Service Pack. I started the install process going at 11pm last night and left it to run while I slept. When I woke at 5:30am today the computer was waiting for me to give the OK to a re-boot. It took about 30-40 minutes before I was able to login again and resume normal usage.

As yet there are no obvious issues. Everything I've tried so far is working as it was prior to the upgrade. One or two auto-started tasks that I had previously disabled using Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal (Iobit) had come back so I simply turned them off again.

Note that the PC system was fully up-to-date with all automated installs from both Microsoft and Symantec prior to beginning the Service Pack installation.

I make no recommendations about this Service Pack. I simply offer my experience as information for the Forum community.

I have had Vista Service Pack1 installed on my Laptop for, must be a month at least, with no problems. In fact it could be my imagination but I am sure downloading from the net and copying files and a few other things are working much faster. What I would be interested in hearing is if anyone has installed the new XP Service Pack. Since the warning on this forum I have turned my updates off in my desktop which has XP. Any updates from those in the know?

David

I have had Vista Service Pack1 installed on my Laptop for, must be a month at least, with no problems. In fact it could be my imagination but I am sure downloading from the net and copying files and a few other things are working much faster. What I would be interested in hearing is if anyone has installed the new XP Service Pack. Since the warning on this forum I have turned my updates off in my desktop which has XP. Any updates from those in the know?

David

You can safely download and install XP SP2, which has been out for some time now. But I would be cautious about SP3 until the FUD clears a bit.

I always make an image backup of my C: drive before any major update is applied; that way I can reinstall the system if necessary.

Colin.