WnSoft Forums

Widescreen TV Viewing

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

I've read all I could find on the forum on the subject, and therese is a lot to say the least. I've just taken delivery of a Panasonic TX32LMD 70 TV http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/3978...?trackInfo=true I have just tried a few experiments with a couple of my current 5.1 shows and 1 in 5.5. The standard show in 4-5 format had black bars top and bottom and the picture stretched. I then converted a show to 16-9 format and tried again and got black box around the picture. My monitor runs at 1280x1024 res, I tried playing around with this but didn't get a full screen picture on the TV. Does anyone have a set of figures from the basic size of the original picure to the PTE show to give a full screen show on the TV.

Yachtsman1

You need to check the spec of the TV - it will indicate what pixel dimensions to use.

My Sony is 1366x768 and I can use these figures to create a fullscreen PTE show when linking my laptop to the tv via HDMI. The laptop output is set to 1360x768.

However, although I haven't tried it, the same figures when connecting via the normal PC connection are 1280x768.

The secret is to use HDMI if you have it available. I can tell you that the result via HDMI is absolutely stunning and well worth the cost of the cable.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
You need to check the spec of the TV - it will indicate what pixel dimensions to use.

My Sony is 1366x768 and I can use these figures to create a fullscreen PTE show when linking my laptop to the tv via HDMI. The laptop output is set to 1360x768.

However, although I haven't tried it, the same figures when connecting via the normal PC connection are 1280x768.

The secret is to use HDMI if you have it available. I can tell you that the result via HDMI is absolutely stunning and well worth the cost of the cable.

DaveG

Hi Dave

The pixel size is 1366x768 but I'm unsure how to connect the laptop to the PC, there are hdmi sockets on the TV but obviously the connection on the laptop is the usual 15pin, haven't seen a conversion lead, so I'm unsure how to overcome this. I.m sure you need to change the the basic image size from the usual 1024x768.

Yachtsman1.

Without a HDMI connection you appear to be snookered.

A lot of new laptops, particularly but not only Sony, now feature them in order to play Blu-Ray DVDs thro' TVs.

The Sony TV has 7 AV inputs, one of which is for HDMI.

I have seen DVI / HDMI adaptors but not PC / HDMI - maybe someone else has more info - Conflow?

Obviously, if you were in the market for a new laptop, it would be something to consider.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
Without a HDMI connection you appear to be snookered.

A lot of new laptops, particularly but not only Sony, now feature them in order to play Blu-Ray DVDs thro' TVs.

The Sony TV has 7 AV inputs, one of which is for HDMI.

I have seen DVI / HDMI adaptors but not PC / HDMI - maybe someone else has more info - Conflow?

Obviously, if you were in the market for a new laptop, it would be something to consider.

DaveG

Hi Dave

My laptop is only 6 months old, so I won't be buying new. Last night I took one of my raw pictures re-sized it to 1366x768 as the tv picture, converted to JPEG and placed it in a 1 pic show. Result, still the same, then I went to bed. As usual I woke up thinking what could the answer be, then I remembered I had the aspect ratio on the TV set to auto, it has 4 settings auto 16-9 14-9 and 4-3 plus two zoom settings. Off shopping now but will have another go when I return.

Guest Yachtsman1

Back from shopping, tried removing auto and initialising 16-9, still not a full picture. Called in the local computer shop, was told there were no hdmi to 15pin tv conversion leads as yet, but expected soon with related software. Tried an old show again with the pictures sized at 1024x768, on 16-9 aspect ratio on the tv, picture had a 12mm black band top and bottom, not worth complaining, will leave things as they are for now.

Yachtsman1

The book with the Sony specifically lists the max res for the PC input as 1280x768. Your TV is probably the same.

Let's hope that the PC / HDMI adaptor works and is available soon.

You could then create a FULLSCREEN 16:9 show using 1366x768 images and should get ACTUAL PIXELS on the TV. (1360x768 displays a thin line on each side 1366x768 covers the screen perfectly).

Unless you laptop supports 1360x768 on its monitor you will have to select the TV only option and black out your monitor.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
The book with the Sony specifically lists the max res for the PC input as 1280x768. Your TV is probably the same.

Let's hope that the PC / HDMI adaptor works and is available soon.

You could then create a FULLSCREEN 16:9 show using 1366x768 images and should get ACTUAL PIXELS on the TV. (1360x768 displays a thin line on each side 1366x768 covers the screen perfectly).

Unless you laptop supports 1360x768 on its monitor you will have to select the TV only option and black out your monitor.

DaveG

The TV is 1366x768 tried sizing a picture to this and still got black lines top and bottom, the nearest screen res on the laptop is 1400x1050, haven't checked this out yet but I ain't holing my breath.

Yachtsman1

Have you checked your TV book to see what res is supported by the PC input?

As I said previously, the HDMI input supports 1360x768 but the PC input only supports 1280x768.

So whatever aspect ratio you choose in PTE will show within a 1280x768 screen (on mine).

Your 16:9 is fitting within the 1280x768 screen (and being re-sized downwards).

If yours is the same as mine and you try a 1280x768 show you should get the full height with black lines to the sides.

Put a white line around the image to make sure that you are seeing the full image.

DaveG