WnSoft Forums

Distortion when playing back on TV

fh1805

Hi folks,

As some of you regulars will know I have stated elsewhere in the forum that, in my opinion, burning to DVD and playing back through the TV, is a can of worms. Well, I've finally plucked up the courage and taken the lid off my can. And the worms are out!

First the good news. I successfully burned the DVD using VideoBuilder (mine's a trial copy so I do get the scrolling message but that's no problem) And I found the burn process very easy to do - just followed the "Next" button taking defaults all the way. I took one of my shortest sequences (just 7 images set to music and lasting just 30 seconds) and burned to a DVD+RW disc. It plays back fine in my desktop computer and, to my surprise, it played back through the DVD player into the TV down in the lounge.

Now for the BUT....

The sequence was built for projection through my digital projector so is sized at 1024x768 (i.e. 4:3 aspect ratio). The TV (a four-year old Tatung that uses CRT technology not LCD) is a 16:9 widescreen TV. So I ended up with a stretched image. This is what I expected. What I didn't expect to see was barrel distortion within the PTE image.

The sequence was built using a background image (set via Project Options...Screen...Background within the pte project) and the individual main images are sized to 85% (again done via Project Options...Screen... within the pte project). The sequence plays perfectly in Preview, the mini-player and as an exe file on the computer. On the TV playback, the background fills the TV screen and has got clean straight edges but the superimposed main images all show consistent and identical barrel distortion on all four sides. I stress - it is the edges of the superimposed main image that shows the barrel distortion and not the edge of the background image.

I'd welcome thoughts on this matter from those with significantly more experience of DVD and TV play back than I have.

regards,

Peter

Post-script: I'd read many times about the significant loss of image quality when playing back from a DVD through a TV. Well, I'm pleasantly surprised at just how good the image quality is. Ok, it is not as good as on the computer screen but it is still very acceptable.

Peter

vertical's - frames etc -- tv's no like at times

I always make full screen so there are no edges to wiggle -- especially bad on r side - it is not video builder's fault -'tis the nature of the beast

do search of forum or my faq for r side wiggle, jaggies

this thread is from 2005

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...;f=2&t=2899

but if you format the show proper there is no problem as shows have been presented by other members by beemers etc on 100" screens with astounding results

ken

An update....

With the assistance of some friends (and their next-door neighbours) we have now established that when the sequence is run off the DVD through a TV the following occurs:

- if the TV uses CRT technology there is visible barrel distortion

- if the TV or computer monitor uses flat-screen (LCD) technology there is no distortion of any kind

Unfortunately we have not got an old CRT computer monitor between us to make the test on but my prediction is that there would be barrel distortion.

Conclusion: There's nowt wrong wi' PTE-VideoBuilder!

regards,

Peter

(Translation of the Yorkshire dialect for those who might need it: There is nothing wrong with PTE-VideoBuilder)

Guest Yachtsman1
An update....

With the assistance of some friends (and their next-door neighbours) we have now established that when the sequence is run off the DVD through a TV the following occurs:

- if the TV uses CRT technology there is visible barrel distortion

- if the TV or computer monitor uses flat-screen (LCD) technology there is no distortion of any kind

Unfortunately we have not got an old CRT computer monitor between us to make the test on but my prediction is that there would be barrel distortion.

Conclusion: There's nowt wrong wi' PTE-VideoBuilder!

regards,

Peter

(Translation of the Yorkshire dialect for those who might need it: There is nothing wrong with PTE-VideoBuilder)

Hi Peter

You'll have to bite the bullet like I did, bought a Panasonic 32" LCD TV and matching tuner recorder, my PTE DVD shows with a 1" black strip either side, no distorsion, great sound, I've now bought the HDMI link cable (VEIRA) will try it again tomorrow with the cable link, which I am assured will get rid of the black stripes. will let you know. Get brass outa pocket lad. Incidentally the TV automatically adjusts the picture format 4.3 16.9 etc. Another bonus is the VGA connection on the TV so it can be used as a monitor on the PC.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Peter

You'll have to bite the bullet like I did, bought a Panasonic 32" LCD TV and matching tuner recorder, my PTE DVD shows with a 1" black strip either side, no distorsion, great sound, I've now bought the HDMI link cable (VEIRA) will try it again tomorrow with the cable link, which I am assured will get rid of the black stripes. will let you know. Get brass outa pocket lad. Incidentally the TV automatically adjusts the picture format 4.3 16.9 etc. Another bonus is the VGA connection on the TV so it can be used as a monitor on the PC.

Yachtsman1

Tried my DVD recorded at 4-3 on my 16-9 TV/DVD pair with HDMI (Viera) connection lead fitted. Plays with no black lines or distortion