WnSoft Forums

More 1940'2 Nostalgia

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I've finally plucked up courage to submit one of my shows to public scrutiny. It's a mixture of my pictures taken last Saturday and some sourced on the internet, there is a little animation and a matching soundtrack with a few sound effects thrown in. Be gentle in your critique. It's 65mb+ so I should think will not have many downloads.

Yachtsman1

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8ad1243...2db6fb9a8902bda

Hi Eric,

I thoroughly enjoyed your show! The reenactment clothing was spectacular and believable, obviously most were of authentic dating. Only the new cars, plastic bottles of tea and soda, color photos, etc., in the pictures allowed the viewer to know that it was a reenactment. Of course the age of some of the participants in uniform might be a hint! LOL.

Very nice and much appreciated. The music was fitting - perhaps a collage of images could be made to display and round out the end of the show and let Vera Lynn finish the song We'll Meet Again"....

Best regards,

Lin

Eric,

I enjoyed your sequence very much, another place for me to pay a visit, I love these Re-enactment Society events ,they can be great places for some super photographs.

Getting back to your sequence, just one or two points if I may...... The overall length was a bit on the long side for me, your sequence contained a lot of images that could have been left out, they didn't add anything to the story you were telling,one of the biggest headaches for us A.V. producers is having to leave great images out, we feel we must find a place for them and it's a big wrench when we decide they mus be left on the cutting floor.

The use of colour didn't bother me but I did enjoy the ones you converted to black & white,very apt and in keeping with your theme.

One other point, and it's a personal preference, I'm not a great fan of over pan and zooming, pan and zoom is a great feature of our much loved programme but it can be over used (in my Humble opinion).

Once again thanks for sharing with us and I'm glad to see you have mastered Mediafire, it's a great tool don't you think?

Tom.

Eric.

Earlier this year I constructed a little show on the same Theme and posted a link on this forum, it's uncanny how to minds think along the same lines.

Heres the link again, please have a look.

This is a revised version as Lin suggested I removed the people in German uniform, this I have done.

http://www.mediafire.com/?oi7ihy42cpo

Tom.

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric.

Earlier this year I constructed a little show on the same Theme and posted a link on this forum, it's uncanny how to minds think along the same lines.

Heres the link again, please have a look.

This is a revised version as Lin suggested I removed the people in German uniform, this I have done.

http://www.mediafire.com/?oi7ihy42cpo

Tom.

Hi Tom

Thanks for taking the trouble to download my show. Regarding your show I have a copy in my archives for reference so I was impressed when I first viewed it. The reasons for the length of my show is I have been asked by the local WI to put together a 60 minute slide show so I need some padding to get enough of my material together to run that length. Many of the pictures I took contain members of the WI so to discard any of them would have been sacralidge. I agree that too much animation is detremental, however to a "new" audience unfamiliar with what PTE can do, I find is a wonderment to them, however I do try to keep it to a minimum, I would like to be able to do some of the sequences Lyn puts together but my limitations with Photoshop Elements put this out of reach at present. I have only been using PS and PTE since last October, and at 68 years of age it gets harder to get things into the gray matter. Next week I am visiting a 75 year old neighbour who claims to have mastered Audacity, but not PTE so we are hoping to swop memory banks.

Yachtsman1 :blink:

Hi! Eric,

The last time I did anything for the WI was a disaster, It was back in the days when I was using 2 x analogue projectors.

I was projecting a sequence on Egypt and it length (about 1/2 hour) required 4 x straight magazines each holding 50 slides, this required a quick change of magazines half way through the show, I had made this change a hundred times or more with no problems but on this occasion I put the wrong magazines into the projectors, well you can imagine the result, I had to stop the show and correct my error,it completely ruined the mood I had my audience in, I still have nightmares to this day.

It's good to see that P2e has breathed new life into you as it did for me as we approach our twilight years, we can now go on for many years producing our shows in relative comfort while sitting in front of our computers, gone are the days when we made our titles using Lith film and scratching the emulsion with a pin. long live Photoshop.

On the subject of Audition and Audacity, why not visit Ronnie West site, he has some tutorials for download in PDF format, alternatively Peter Appleton also has a downloadable tutorial on Audacity.

Tom.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

It was Peter who got me into PTE AV after a show he did for our local camera club last year, I was absolutely amazed at what could be done with a relatively simple photograph and jumped in with both feet. I have since left the club and will start attending a new one in mid September, maybe there will be someone there who can help me progress, BTW the guy i am seeing this week is 85 not 75, the blind leading the blind.

Yachtsman1.

Enjoyed watching your show, it did include some nice images and I thought the use of the old posters was good .

My one peeve would be , the modern stuff: bikes,cars people,Cif etc.

Perhaps these could be blurred,cloned out,cropped ,fairly easily, I think the show would benefit a great deal.

Thanks for sharing

All the Best

Neil

Guest Yachtsman1
Enjoyed watching your show, it did include some nice images and I thought the use of the old posters was good .

My one peeve would be , the modern stuff: bikes,cars people,Cif etc.

Perhaps these could be blurred,cloned out,cropped ,fairly easily, I think the show would benefit a great deal.

Thanks for sharing

All the Best

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for watching my show, I agree the images with none 40's people and objects would be better with them blurred out, unfortunately my prowess with Elements 5 is not sufficient to do that. I have the book but don't seem to find the time to read it thoroughly. Still wrestling with Audacity.

Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

It was Peter who got me into PTE AV after a show he did for our local camera club last year, Yachtsman1.

Eric,

For one moment there I thought you were going to tell me that Peter was your 85 year old pal. LOL.

Eric, have you thought about paying a visit to Leeds A.V. Group, I don't think they are to far from you.

There you will learn a lot as they have some members who exhibit their work Internationally on a regular basis,

Their Chairman - Keith Scott FRPS to mention only one.

If I'm preaching to the converted I apologize.

Tom,

Hi Eric,

Really enjoyed watching your show It bought back memories Of the times and also a little Later as I was in that area as an aprentice Jockey

Late 49 early 1950s Really loved the area especially Rideing on the Moors, would loved to have seen more photos around the Area but the show was for a special purpose and you did well.

Thanks for the memories

Ray

Hi Eric,

Here's a quick "Collage" of some of your images. You could put this in as the last page and spend the remaining time for the song just zooming and panning on the individual images....

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/collage.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Eric,

Here's a quick "Collage" of some of your images. You could put this in as the last page and spend the remaining time for the song just zooming and panning on the individual images....

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/collage.jpg

Thanks Lin, when I get my head around how to do it I'll give it a go.

Yachtsman1

I've now re-done the show with Lin's collage and posted it on mediafire the new link is http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8ad1243...2db6fb9a8902bda

Thanks Lin. Haven't tried a new DVD yet, my brains aching.

Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting your show I enjoyed it very much. Perhaps I might see you at Embsay/Bolton Abbey this coming weekend!

Further to Tom's reference to the Leeds AV Group (thanks Tom) you will be made most welcome if you can come along when we start again in October (as will anyone else) Details are on the club website at :-

and you will also find my humble sequence from last year at Embsay on the website.

All the best

TonyC

Hi Eric,

Looks great. I think the ending on the last words of the song now works very well!

Best regards,

Lin

I've now re-done the show with Lin's collage and posted it on mediafire the new link is http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8ad1243...2db6fb9a8902bda

Thanks Lin. Haven't tried a new DVD yet, my brains aching.

Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting your show I enjoyed it very much. Perhaps I might see you at Embsay/Bolton Abbey this coming weekend!

All the best

TonyC

Hi! Tony,

I am also going to Embsay this weekend, I would have liked to stay for the two days but I can't get any accommodation, it seems all are booked up.

The Drive from Runcorn is about two hours(depending on traffic) thats means four hours traveling each day so I have decided to do just the one day, that day has yet to be decided,probably Saturday... have you any preference? what day do you think it would be populated with the most people in costume.

I would have liked to have a run on a steam engine powered train, and maybe a visit to Bolton Abbey, maybe another day.

Tom

Hi! Tony,

I am also going to Embsay this weekend, I would have liked to stay for the two days but I can't get any accommodation, it seems all are booked up.

The Drive from Runcorn is about two hours(depending on traffic) thats means four hours traveling each day so I have decided to do just the one day, that day has yet to be decided,probably Saturday... have you any preference? what day do you think it would be populated with the most people in costume.

I would have liked to have a run on a steam engine powered train, and maybe a visit to Bolton Abbey, maybe another day.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I will be there both days all being well. If you want to meet up you can get in touch via the Leeds AV Group website. I took all the photos in my sequence on Saturday last year. Basically you get to Embsay and park your car and take the train to Bolton Abbey where it all happens and make the return jopurney to Embsay when you are ready. I think the return fare is about £8.

All the best

TC

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

Re Leeds AV Group, until 5 minutes ago I hadn't heard of the group, unfortunately it's a tad too far for a weekly trip, especially at night in the winter, I did the trip to Teeside Digital Group a few weeks ago and the drive back in the dark was not what I want at my age. Thanks for the offer, I will however make the trip next year, god willing to the multi day event. Where I live there is a 15 mile cross country trip before the A1 so at my age I will have to say no. but thanks for the offer, now you have flagged up the groups web site I will bookmark it and visit regularly.

Yachtsman1

PS one of the posters mentioned lack of accomodation, I'm registered with Travelodge, they regularly have special offers, last week they released a load of rooms at £9 per night, if you know of an event in the future where you need an overnight stay, pre-booking a couple of the cheepo's is the way to go. by registering you get first shout, and it's free. Just booked 2 days in Newcastle-u-lyne for £22 including insurance. Last year we had one night in the Lakes and 2 in Manchester for under £10 per night.

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Eric,

Really enjoyed watching your show It bought back memories Of the times and also a little Later as I was in that area as an aprentice Jockey

Late 49 early 1950s Really loved the area especially Rideing on the Moors, would loved to have seen more photos around the Area but the show was for a special purpose and you did well.

Thanks for the memories

Ray

Hi Ray

If you check out my web site there are loads of Dales pics on there. www.espicdigitalmedia.co.uk

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

For one moment there I thought you were going to tell me that Peter was your 85 year old pal. LOL.

Eric, have you thought about paying a visit to Leeds A.V. Group, I don't think they are to far from you.

There you will learn a lot as they have some members who exhibit their work Internationally on a regular basis,

Their Chairman - Keith Scott FRPS to mention only one.

If I'm preaching to the converted I apologize.

Tom,

Hi Tom

Went to see the 85 year old yesterday, he was in fact 93 and wasn't that well up in Audacity, however I did have a good afternoon putting some of his images into a PTE show.

Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Went to see the 85 year old yesterday, he was in fact 93 and wasn't that well up in Audacity, however I did have a good afternoon putting some of his images into a PTE show.

Yachtsman1

Hello Eric,

Glad you had a good day.

It seems to me that you could be a dangerous man to know, your pal aged from 72 to 93 years in just three days.LOL.

Will we get to see the final show?

Tom.