WnSoft Forums

Adobe Audition

HaroldB

Al,

I am going to try to break that thread into multiple threads now.

I've put my order in for the new "Audition", due out this fall, so will let you know more about it when I get it.

TTTT, I have a personal aversion to using anything from Adobe ever since they had the U.S. arrest that Russian programmer for violating that dumb copyright law.

I am actually thinking of buying the Cool Edit add-in that we talked about a while ago, while it is still available, in order for me NOT to have to buy Audition. And yes, I realize that this makes no economic sense. I just find it really hard to deal with a company that wants to put programmers in prison for programming.

Harold

Hi, Harold,

I didn't hear about the arrest of the Russian programmer - it makes no sense at all to do something like that. Companies like that usually get their just desserts in the end.

Copyright laws don't make any sense, either, especially as applied to software. And they're becoming even "dumber" all the time.

I'm not much in favour of boycotting, though, as a lot of innocent people usually get hurt in the process, including oneself (I did boycott our local cable TV company once, though, for negative-option billing ). Fortunately, satellite service came along and I no longer needed them, anyway. :o

Hi, Harold,

I didn't hear about the arrest of the Russian programmer - it makes no sense at all to do something like that.   Companies like that usually get their just desserts in the end.

Copyright laws don't make any sense, either, especially as applied to software.    And they're becoming even "dumber" all the time.

And the DMCA law is, IMO, the dumbest of them all. The way that stupid law reads if a company copy protects something it has copyrighted by using the most obvious copy protection method (fx, changing all the a's to b's and so on), and a programmer writes a program to unprotect it, he is liable to a prison term for "decrypting copyrighted material". This law was "snuck through" in the tail-end of the Clinton years, and was undoubtedly fully paid for by Hollywood and recording industty interest's campaign contributions. A perfect example of corporate greed.

There was a widespread movement to boycott Adobe when they had the programmer arrested for cracking one of their stupid e-book protection schemes. Adobe quickly backed off, but since it was the U.S. government that did the arrest at Adobe's behest, the programmer remained in prision for a while before they arranged some kind of a cockamamie deal to free him.

I agree with you in priciple about boycotts. But the idea of a company causing a programmer to spend time in prison for programming is so reprehensible to me that I simply can not bring myself to buy an Adobe product since then. I use JASC's Paint Shop Pro for photo editing, and I love it, and it's inexpensive.

I may just relent if you absolutely love Audition.

Harold

Kurt,

I think you'll find that it makes even more economic sense to purchase Cool Edit 2000 now, and then upgrade to Audition for only $99.

Actually it would make economic sense to purchase Cool Edit Pro right now. CEP is going for $249 and Audition is going to be $299. You get a free upgrade to Audition if you have CEP 2.X so you would have a savings of $50.

Thanks, Kurt.

I already own Cool Edit 2000, and the upgrade price from that to Cool Edit Pro is $199. If I wait and upgrade to Audition, the upgrade price is $99.

Harold