WnSoft Forums

Off Topic

Ronniebootwest

Microsoft recently updated the 'Malicious Software Removal Tool'

I downloaded this update but I cannot find where it was saved on my computer!

Does anyone know where the damn thing might have gone please?

Ron

Ron, isn't that an automatic update only and doesn't it just download and install without intervention? I don't recall having the opportunity to save it as a download.

Ron, isn't that an automatic update only and doesn't it just download and install without intervention? I don't recall having the opportunity to save it as a download.

Yes it is an automatic update but surely you must be able to access the file in order to run the tool?

Ron,

As I understand it, this tool is not intended to be run manually. I believe that it is part of Microsoft's suite of "we'll take care of your system for you" programs. If any Microsoft product encounters what it believes to be malicious software, then this tool is run automatically to remove the offending item: all without you being aware that anything has happened.

regards,

Peter

RONNIE

I will send it to you if you wish

- and Peter it can be run manually when you download it yourself and start it and ave it you get choices how you want to run it

but MS checks your system to see if you have a legal copy of windows before youu can download it

see

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

for the download site -- it is available the 2nd tuesday of the month

ken

Hi Ronnie,

There are 2 versions of the 'Microsoft MSRT Tool' ~ the Automatic version and the Downloadable version.

The 'Automatic' utility is part of the MS Live-Care Program and its a 'run-once' device in response to their

request to you,ie:- Do you wish to run this Tool?. Should you say yes, it runs once only,then exits the PC.

The MS.Program which runs after that Microsoft Web-Instruction is a 'hidden-utility' somewhere in the Win

Sub-System. There are many parts of the Win Op-System which are not accessible to the User and are

updated regularily by Microsoft even without your knowledge of such.

The 'Downloadable' utility is (in essence) a Manual command utility which operates the MSRT Tool with a few

extra 'bobs and bells' added.

To make it simple to understand for Example:- The PTE Program. You can not get access into this Program,

you can only use it through its various Windows whereafter it makes an EXE.File for you. So in effect you can

only 'use-it' and nothing else. The Microsoft MSRT Tool is similar except its hidden for a very good reason.

Brian.Conflow.

Colin,

My understanding of Ronnies' Post is that he was trying to find the location

of the MSRT Tool ~ whether he wants to run it I simply dont know ? but he

should be warned about running an 'old-version' of that Tool. It is dicey if he

ignores Microsofts invitation to update it having selected the 'run commnd'.

Brian.

Colin,

My understanding of Ronnies' Post is that he was trying to find the location

of the MSRT Tool ~ whether he wants to run it I simply dont know ? but he

should be warned about running an 'old-version' of that Tool. It is dicey if he

ignores Microsofts invitation to update it having selected the 'run commnd'.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Yes, the dialog box is headed 'Windows Malicious Software tool' followed by the date, in my case February 2009, so one should watch for that and update if in doubt. The location is Windows\system32 and the filename is mrt.exe.

Regards,

Colin

Hi Brian,

Yes, the dialog box is headed 'Windows Malicious Software tool' followed by the date, in my case February 2009, so one should watch for that and update if in doubt. The location is Windows\system32 and the filename is mrt.exe.

Regards,

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for this info, it is just what I wanted to know.

Ken,

Your download link is just the ticket, I downloaded the tool and installed it then checked the file system (as per Colins info above) and hey Presto! there it was.

A very useful tool and worth running every month, after checking that yopu have the latest version.

Ron

Ronnie, Collin, Ken,

Ronnie you done the proper procedure in downloading the MSRT Tool and had not run it from the PC 'run-command'.

The MRT.Exe is part of the PC.Cab System 1386 installation and resides in Win.32/Sys on XP machines but it has many

referenced 'hook' locations and dll's spread across the Op.System and those locations depend on what Op.System is in use

so pointing to the Exe is only part of its system activity. (In Windows 2000 it is located at C:\WINNT\ystem 32 with 7 dll's)

The Program has undergone many changes over a short period of time including many code changes and that's why its not

generally available to the public any why its so vital to have the latest update. The New 'downloadable' version is a much

safer option than simply running it from the PC 'run-command'. Collin seems to agree with that approach.

Another problem ~ unlike open Programs this is a self-executing EXE ~ It does not have an 'Uninstaller' so if one makes a

mistake or runs a non-compatible (older version) any changes made by the Exe are irrevocable. You cant undo these changes !

Warning: Do not make the mistake of copying this to a CD or Mem-Pen and loading it on to another PC. It will do damage.

Ken's Link (above) brings you to the correct multi-lingual Download Page recommended by Microsoft for PC usage.

Yes, it does contact the Window-Server for the reason to examine your PC Set-up and supply the correct compatible utility.

Guys...My apology for labouring this topic, but one must remember there are many less experienced Forum Members reading

this and its so easy to walk into a MS quagmire. For those PTE users this is one area best left to the monthly Microsoft-Updates.

Brian.

(Microsoft recommendation below)

post-1416-1237124440_thumb.png