WnSoft Forums

saving space

cici

Hi everybody ,

Saving space , of course without any lost of quality, is important.

As the new player enables Ogg files, we can economize on a few space more.

But good quality ogg files are encoded at the bit rate of 110-115 Kb/sec which is not too far from 128 Kb/sec, the bit rate of a good quality MP3 file.

The THOMSON mp3PRO Audio Player has a special encoder for encoding wav files to MP3 at the bit rate of 64 Kb/sec having the same audio quality as a MP3 at the bit rate of 128 Kb/sec. You can download free at http://www.mp3prozone.com

I’ve carefully tested and never noticed any difference in audio quality when comparing with wav files encoded to MP3 at 128 Kb/sec.

I’ve made a test encoding a wav file to Ogg file and to MP3 at 64 Kb/sec: no difference of quality, but a big difference in economizing space, as you can see:

Wav file of 87, 8 Mb

Ogg file of 7,43 Mb

Mp3 at 64 Kb: 3,98 Mb !

Of course THOMSON mp3PRO Audio Player is useful when ripping audio CD (I use for this Exact Audio Copy , a software already recommended in this forum). It is not recommended to transform MP3 to wav and then to MP3 at 64 Kb/sec. but I did: if there is any lost of quality, it is very difficult to notice it!

Exact Audio Copy can be downloaded free at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

New tests and opinions about are welcome

Hi Cici,

One thing you have to consider when you say the quality is still ok at the lower bit rate is where the sound will be played. In analogue systems i.e. tape what may sound fine at home and on headphones may be inaudible in a large hall, or even if the clients sitting room is bigger then your PC room. I would suggest a comparison on a programme which measures sound levels, and with a graphic equlizer. Sound files save space by getting rid of "inaudable sounds" on a track, but the more thats taken away the flatter the sound comming from your speakers.

Alan

Bonjour Sam!

Sorry to contradict you, my friend. I don't like Mp3 Pro, but the question is not here. Mp3Pro is different by Mp3, and needs a special decoder to sound (a little) better than a normal Mp3. Why?

Because this format "is composed out of two components, the mp3 part for the low frequencies and the SBR or "PRO" part for the high frequencies" (see Coding Technologies and Thomson official sites). Let's read further:

"This fact allows existing mp3 players to play mp3PRO files. They simply ignore the PRO part" (that is high frequencies).

This means that a 64 Kb/sec. Mp3Pro sounds exactly like a 64 Kb/sec. "classic" Mp3, if you read it without its own reader. As Thomson itself says, normal players (like PTE player) "simply ignore the PRO part".

Therefore I don't see any advantage by using this format in PTE shows. I wish only to say that Mp3 at 64 Kb sounds sometimes not so bad, even if Ogg Vorbis sounds much better at the same bitrate.

Could someone please guide me. I installed the mp3pro twice, but my xp home pc won't show me where it is installed. Thanks.

May I also inquire if there is a free downloadable encoder for this ogg format? Is the site still available?

Thanks. I feel so behind when I read your discussions about sound production and improvements. Thanks.

Manny

Thanks for your fast response Ken and Cici. I'd like to try these programs. I wonder how you guys are always ahead finding these miniature wonders. You must be ahead of me on a centipede's body. :unsure: Still can't find that MP3PRO installed program. It installed in a minute and just gone.