WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe for Mac

bbutler

Geoffrey,

I know that Igor and his programmers are working on a Mac PTE viewer application right now. It might be awhile (many months or next year) before you can create/edit PTE slideshows on a Mac.

As far as returning to the Dark Side, many newer Macs with Intel CPUs use Boot Camp to dual boot so the answer is yes, I go between light and dark all of the time :). I am really looking forward to Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

Tom

Hi Tom

What is your experience reference 'Boot Camp'?

I have 'VMWare Fusion' installed on an iMac (via Windows XP by the way - as Vista seems to have 'issues'?) but I get the impression, partly from posts in other threads, that although VMWare Fusion enables supposed seamless switching between operating systems it does not give full use of the computer resources - i.e. graphic card, RAM, processing power etc - do you have a take on this as compared to 'Boot Camp'?

Also I guess you need some Anti-Virus stuff etc?

I am thinking of getting a MacBook Pro Laptop and wondering which way to go, weighing up the pros and cons, between using a 'Virtual Machine' (Fusion) or a 'Partition' (Boot Camp) route in order to be able to run PTE as the ONLY Windows program, after all the image and sound files have been managed into a PTE usable form. In other words PTE will be used for the compilation of the presentation.

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,

I have tried VMWare Fusion about a year ago but the graphics performance on my Mac Mini was limited compared to Boot Camp. I think it's fine for MS Office but not for gaming/multimedia.

Boot Camp loads Windows from a separate partition with full control of hardware devices. My personal opinion is that any virtualization software adds an additional layer and will never be as fast as a the native operating system communicating directly with the hardware. Boot Camp has always worked for me, just hold down the Alt key during boot and select the OS. Newer Mac hardware runs Windows great.

It is possible to download malware/worms/viruses/... in any Windows environment, and yes you should definitely have antivirus software + some type of malware protection. I use Avira Antivir plus sandboxie to isolate my web browsing + noscript plugin for Firefox.

Windows 7 is supposed to run XP in a virtual session for backwards compatibility, so that should be interesting.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for that - I will bear your comments in mind (and Boot Camp is FREE!).

I will let you know how I get on :unsure:

Cheers

Geoffrey