WnSoft Forums

Jerky EXE on PC?

If you find that you have made an EXE which is "too much" for your PC (Laptop or Desktop) to handle because of System deficiencies, try making an MPEG4 of the same size.

You might find that it works a LOT better.

I recently constructed a show on my Desktop M/C which played smooth as silk but when trialling it on my Club's Laptop PC it was not smooth enough - the Graphics card had only 512Mb of RAM.

The equivalent 1920x1080 MPEG4 was smooth as silk and played satisfactorily.

I used a 7.5.4 Menu and linked via "Run Application or Open File".

The MPEG4 opened in Media Player Classic Home Cinema - I had to use Ctrl+Return to get full screen - and closed MPC at the end of the video to get back to my Menu with no flashing etc.

DG

If you find that you have made an EXE which is "too much" for your PC (Laptop or Desktop) to handle because of System deficiencies, try making an MPEG4 of the same size.....

DG

=======================

Dave,

When you say make an 'MPEG4', do you mean use the 'Publish Show/HD Video' process in PTE to create the MP4 files? What throws me is you say 'of the same size'. Usually, the MP4 comes out quite larger than the exe.

If we are referring to the same process, what parameters do you change to make the MPEG4 the same size? Even selecting 'low quality' creates a larger sized file. Do you use Custom settings? What settings work for you?

Thanks...

Gary

=======================

Dave,

When you say make an 'MPEG4', do you mean use the 'Publish Show/HD Video' process in PTE to create the MP4 files? What throws me is you say 'of the same size'. Usually, the MP4 comes out quite larger than the exe.

If we are referring to the same process, what parameters do you change to make the MPEG4 the same size? Even selecting 'low quality' creates a larger sized file. Do you use Custom settings? What settings work for you?

Thanks...

Gary

Hi Gary,

By "Same Size" I meant same resolution or pixel size - in my case 1920x1080.

File size is obviously bigger.

30Mb converted to 300Mb. The animation in the 30Mb EXE was giving the Laptop problems but the 300Mb MPEG4 played smoothly (in MPC - Home Cinema).

I have never used anything other than the 1920x1080 Preset at Highest Quality.

Publish Show > HD Video> HD (1920x1080)> High Quality.

I have never used anything else for my own use - I see no need to.

The point is that the EXE failed because of the elaborate animations but the MPEG4 worked extremely well on an underpowered Laptop.

DG

Hi Gary,

By "Same Size" I meant same resolution or pixel size - in my case 1920x1080.

File size is obviously bigger.

30Mb converted to 300Mb. The animation in the 30Mb EXE was giving the Laptop problems but the 300Mb MPEG4 played smoothly (in MPC - Home Cinema).

I have never used anything other than the 1920x1080 Preset at Highest Quality.

Publish Show > HD Video> HD (1920x1080)> High Quality.

I have never used anything else for my own use - I see no need to.

The point is that the EXE failed because of the elaborate animations but the MPEG4 worked extremely well on an underpowered Laptop.

DG

================================

Dave,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. 'Size' to me usually means file size. I always use 'Low Quality' to keep the file size down since I can not tell the difference between 'low' and 'high' quality. Maybe when it gets played on a larger screen, it might make a difference, but so far I can't tell the difference between 'low' and 'high' outputs. I am glad you made your point because I have played an exe that worked fine on my PC but was jerky on the other person's laptop. I should have switched to the MP4 file and always have one on hand, just in case....blink.gif/>

Gary

Hi Gary,

The point is frequently made these days that Memory is so cheap that we don't really need to worry about file sizes.

Therefore, why worry about Low Quality or High Quality for the kind of use that I am talking about?

The show will be projected to 12 foot plus across so why take the chance on the quality issue?

Again, when making MPEG4 files for TV, there is no disadvantage in using High Quality over Low Quality - no jerkiness because of the increased "file size" - so why even bother with Low Quality?

For You Tube use or Vimeo, I would agree, but most of those that I have seen leave something to be desired quality-wise.

I'll keep on using Igor's High Quality 1920x1080 Preset until I see for myself that there is some advantage in lowering the quality setting.

;)/>

DG

Hi Gary,

The point is frequently made these days that Memory is so cheap that we don't really need to worry about file sizes.

Therefore, why worry about Low Quality or High Quality for the kind of use that I am talking about?

The show will be projected to 12 foot plus across so why take the chance on the quality issue?

Again, when making MPEG4 files for TV, there is no disadvantage in using High Quality over Low Quality - no jerkiness because of the increased "file size" - so why even bother with Low Quality?

For You Tube use or Vimeo, I would agree, but most of those that I have seen leave something to be desired quality-wise.

I'll keep on using Igor's High Quality 1920x1080 Preset until I see for myself that there is some advantage in lowering the quality setting.

wink.gif/>

DG

=========================

Dave,

I can't argue with what you say. I'd like to see the difference when a show is projected, but I have not had that opportunity, yet.

I just created MP4s of a show. The 'low quality' was 364Mbs, while the 'high quality' was 863Mbs. Since I tend to put both the exe and the MP4 on thumbdrives (to watch the MP4 on my TV with my WD mediaplayer), even my 16GB thumbdrive gets filled up pretty quickly. But, when I get a chance to project a show, I will see what the difference might be with a 'low' vs a 'high' quality MP4 show.

Thanks...

Gary

Gary,

I agree about the 16Gb thumbdrive.

I tried one of my HDDs just after getting my TV and found that I could use a 500Gb connected to the TV via USB.

I then tried a 1Tb but the Sony would not (at that time) recognize it. I'm told that later models will read 1Tb.

DG

Gary,

I agree about the 16Gb thumbdrive.

I tried one of my HDDs just after getting my TV and found that I could use a 500Gb connected to the TV via USB.

I then tried a 1Tb but the Sony would not (at that time) recognize it. I'm told that later models will read 1Tb.

DG

==========================

Dave,

Using an external drive is a great idea. Just didn't think of it. One day, I will give it a try on my Samsung 40" TV. Right now, I am re-doing a lot of my older shows, hopefully to make them better. When done, this will be a good thing to try out. Thanks... Gary