WnSoft Forums

Screensavers the easy way

davegee

Screensavers the easy way:

1. Create a folder on your HDD called, for example, “My Screensavers”

2. Open your screensaver project in PTE and “Create Screensaver” in your “My Screensavers” folder

3. Close PTE

4. Go to your “My Screensavers” folder

5. Right click on your “xxxx.scr” file and choose “Install” (see diagram 1 below)

6. Set the waiting time (see diagram 2 below), click OK and you’re finished

If you edit/modify the project and save to the same file in “My Screensavers” the screensaver will be automatically updated without need for further action by you.

If you want to change to a different screensaver saved to your “My Screensaver” folder simply choose the new screensaver and follow steps 5 and 6 above.

You can use an existing .exe file as a screensaver by COPYING the file to your “My Screensavers” folder and changing its name from “xxxxx.exe” to “xxxxx.scr”. Then follow steps 5 and 6 above.

Your chosen screensaver will only remain in the list of screensavers when it is installed. If you change to another of your screensavers via the method above or change to a Windows screensaver your original screensaver disappears from the list.

To re-install one of your screensavers follow the procedure from 4 above.

Edited to confirm that the procedure is the same for both XP and Vista.

In Options/Main set "Repeat show until ESC is Pressed". I have not tried chaining Screensavers but it should be possible if the last show is linked back to the first.

DaveG

post-2488-1228045150_thumb.jpg

post-2488-1228045162_thumb.jpg

DaveG,

I presume these instructions are based on Windows XP? Because I've just tried to follow them on Vista and the screensaver didn't kick in. I used search to find where the existing screensaver files are stored on Vista - and they are in C:\Windows\System32. So I copied my screensaver file there (needed to OK the use of System Administrator rights as we went). Now it did try and kick in but, because of the bug in v5.6 beta with regards to "Run until ESC is pressed", everything just hung and I had to go to Task Manager to break in and kill the not responding tasks.

I'll give it another go on Vista once Igor has got Run until ESC working correctly.

regards,

Peter

DaveG,

Following your last post above, I've just tried again, building a new screensaver (four images, Run until ESC) using PTE v5.52. Also played safe and made its name an 8.3 format name. Everything worked as you described. I then opened the project file and created a second screensaver file. This one I renamed to a long form name and then installed. Again everything worked just as you described. Will try this one again with PTE v5.6 beta after Igor has got the "Run until ESC" bug fixed.

I confirm that you are right and that there is no need to place anything into any of the System folders; and no need to use System Administrator privileges under Vista.

regards,

Peter

DaveG,

Just a note:

Your chosen screensaver will only remain in the list of screensavers when it is installed. If you change to another of your screensavers via the method above or change to a Windows screensaver your original screensaver disappears from the list.

For the pte screensaver to remain or always be seen in the Window selection list ... the screensaver file must reside or be copied to the system folder. Windows looks to its system folder for all available .scr files

Hi Stu,

I am aware of what you say - it is the AVOIDANCE of the System folder that led me to write this.

I don't want to be bothered with the system folder and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

I was purely pointing out that it is not a fault that the screensaver cannot be chosen from the list of default screensavers if changed for some reason - it is just a different, EASIER, SAFER, way of doing it.

DaveG