WnSoft Forums

Confused - HD Video vs DVD Video Disc

I have been using PicturesTo Exe for years to create great slideshows. In the past I have created an

AVI file and used Ulead DVD Movie Factory to create a DVD that I can view on my TV.

My question is, what are these options in Pictures to Exe.

1) Export of HD Video - What does this do? How would I use it?

2) DVD video Disc - Is the the same process I am currently doing now with Ulead? Is it better quality?

I only do still photos no video clips.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Jason

If you have the deluxe version of PTE, you can create a DVD direct from PTE without resorting to a third party DVD creator. As to quality I have never used your method so can't comment, however there has been lots of work done on PTE's DVD creation software over the last couple of years I have been using it. Give it a try & report back with your results.

Yachtsman1

Hi Jason,

Let me add a bit to Eric's comments. HD video is a video of much higher resolution than that which you see on a standard DVD. There are several ways in which you can use HD video. First, you can create a video of MP4 type with h.264 compression. These high resolution videos can be played back on your computer, uploaded to Vimeo or Youtube, played on various devices (iPhone, etc.). The h.264 MPEG 4 four supports much higher resolution. For example you could create a video with 1024p resolution (1920 pixels horizontal by 1024 pixels vertical). You could make one 1600x1200 pixels, etc., or 720p resolution , etc. These higher resolution videos can also be burned to BluRay media via 3rd party software and even to standard DVD media with third party software. To play them back at high resolution on this standard DVD media or on BluRay or HD media then requires the appropriate player. You can't play high definition (HD) shows on a standard DVD player.

Standard DVD resolution varies depending on where you live in the world. There are two main "standards" called PAL and NTFS which have slightliy different resolutions and frame rates, but neither are any higher in resolution than SVGA so there are major differences in the appearance of your h.264 MP4 videos when played back on high resolution monitors or televisions and the relatively low resolution standard DVD's.

As for the process you now use versus Video Builder, the video engine found in the PTE Deluxe version, there is little difference in the actual video quality assuming each is done in an optimal fashion. The major difference is in convenience and features. You have some pretty powerful menu building features in Vidio Builder which may not be found in your third party software depending on the individual version you use. Also, Video Builder has one of the very fastest rendering engines available if you have hardware (proper video card) to support the hardware rendering feature so the difference in speed of DVD production may be of value to you.

Best regards,

Lin

Yachtsman1

Makes sense to me. I will upgrade to the deluxe version and let you know.

thanks for your time.

Jason

Hi Jason

If you have the deluxe version of PTE, you can create a DVD direct from PTE without resorting to a third party DVD creator. As to quality I have never used your method so can't comment, however there has been lots of work done on PTE's DVD creation software over the last couple of years I have been using it. Give it a try & report back with your results.

Yachtsman1

Lin,

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed explanation of my question.

I will be upgrading to Deluxe, but I would like to make sure I understand this.

Just a few more follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1) What software do you use to view this video MP4 type on a PC?

2) I do have an HD TV with all the supported imputs. Can I plug in my laptop to my TV and view the HD quality video?

3) Some of my wedding slideshows are 400 to 600 photos with numeorus songs. Is there a file size limit?

4) I currently use 1024x768 for my photos. Would it be better to use 1920x1024? Will this stall my program or produce to large of files?

5) Once you create this MP4 file can you burn it to a DVD and watch it on a TV or HDTV? or Do you suggest viewing it through a computer.

6) If you burn this file to a DVD do you use Pictures to EXE

Sorry for so many questions. I like to understand the full potential of the software I use and I know the best way to learn is to ask questions and use it.

Pics to Exe is a great program as it is so easy to use and very powerful. I would like to upgrade, but want

to know what the software does from experts who use it.

thanks again, Jason

Hi Jason,

Let me add a bit to Eric's comments. HD video is a video of much higher resolution than that which you see on a standard DVD. There are several ways in which you can use HD video. First, you can create a video of MP4 type with h.264 compression. These high resolution videos can be played back on your computer, uploaded to Vimeo or Youtube, played on various devices (iPhone, etc.). The h.264 MPEG 4 four supports much higher resolution. For example you could create a video with 1024p resolution (1920 pixels horizontal by 1024 pixels vertical). You could make one 1600x1200 pixels, etc., or 720p resolution , etc. These higher resolution videos can also be burned to BluRay media via 3rd party software and even to standard DVD media with third party software. To play them back at high resolution on this standard DVD media or on BluRay or HD media then requires the appropriate player. You can't play high definition (HD) shows on a standard DVD player.

Standard DVD resolution varies depending on where you live in the world. There are two main "standards" called PAL and NTFS which have slightliy different resolutions and frame rates, but neither are any higher in resolution than SVGA so there are major differences in the appearance of your h.264 MP4 videos when played back on high resolution monitors or televisions and the relatively low resolution standard DVD's.

As for the process you now use versus Video Builder, the video engine found in the PTE Deluxe version, there is little difference in the actual video quality assuming each is done in an optimal fashion. The major difference is in convenience and features. You have some pretty powerful menu building features in Vidio Builder which may not be found in your third party software depending on the individual version you use. Also, Video Builder has one of the very fastest rendering engines available if you have hardware (proper video card) to support the hardware rendering feature so the difference in speed of DVD production may be of value to you.

Best regards,

Lin

If you have the HD TV (check the manual to make sure it is 1920x1080) then you can make your shows at that res and play the EXE via a connection between your PC/Laptop and the HD TV. This gives the highest quality.

The prefered method of connection for highest quality is an HDMI cable (or DVI plus Audio Lead).

The only limitation is your PC/Laptop - if it plays OK on the computer it will play on the TV.

It is a simple progression from there to HD Projection at the same resolution.

I have been using this method for around two years and until BluRay Recorders come my way I will continue to do so.

DaveG

Lin,

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed explanation of my question.

I will be upgrading to Deluxe, but I would like to make sure I understand this.

Just a few more follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1) What software do you use to view this video MP4 type on a PC?

As Tom Suggests:

2) I do have an HD TV with all the supported imputs. Can I plug in my laptop to my TV and view the HD quality video?

As Dave Suggests:

3) Some of my wedding slideshows are 400 to 600 photos with numeorus songs. Is there a file size limit?

Two Gigabytes:

4) I currently use 1024x768 for my photos. Would it be better to use 1920x1024? Will this stall my program or produce to large of files?

As suggested:

5) Once you create this MP4 file can you burn it to a DVD and watch it on a TV or HDTV? or Do you suggest viewing it through a computer.

You can with the proper software such as Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12, but you will need either a BluRay or HD player. The best way is as Dave suggests:

6) If you burn this file to a DVD do you use Pictures to EXE

No, Video Builder only burns standard DVD resolution shows. To burn an HD or BluRay video you would need specialized software. PTE can create the HD files, but does not burn HD or BluRay to media

Sorry for so many questions. I like to understand the full potential of the software I use and I know the best way to learn is to ask questions and use it.

Pics to Exe is a great program as it is so easy to use and very powerful. I would like to upgrade, but want

to know what the software does from experts who use it.

thanks again, Jason

Understood,

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks DaveG

I have alot to learn.

Jason

If you have the HD TV (check the manual to make sure it is 1920x1080) then you can make your shows at that res and play the EXE via a connection between your PC/Laptop and the HD TV. This gives the highest quality.

The prefered method of connection for highest quality is an HDMI cable (or DVI plus Audio Lead).

The only limitation is your PC/Laptop - if it plays OK on the computer it will play on the TV.

It is a simple progression from there to HD Projection at the same resolution.

I have been using this method for around two years and until BluRay Recorders come my way I will continue to do so.

DaveG