WnSoft Forums

Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Ken Cox

Thanks Ken,

I have just updated to Direct X Version 9.0c following a post by Al Robinson but had forgotten where the diagnostic tool was located. The comments on graphics cards etc in the post on PTE Version 5.0 leads me to ask the question - what is the inter-relationship between processor speed, memory and the graphics card as far as PTE Version 5.0 is concerned. Igor has only asked about graphics cards which suggests that this is the most important factor. I have a Raedon 9200, and, although the PTE demos are pretty good, there is still signs of small pauses in the first demo and in the fractals demo. I wonder whether improving processor speed or memory would have any benefit or whether it is just a question of graphic card speed and memory.

Jeff

Thanks Ken,

I have just updated to Direct X Version 9.0c following a post by Al Robinson but had forgotten where the diagnostic tool was located. The comments on graphics cards etc in the post on PTE Version 5.0 leads me to ask the question - what is the inter-relationship between processor speed, memory and the graphics card as far as PTE Version 5.0 is concerned. Igor has only asked about graphics cards which suggests that this is the most important factor. I have a Raedon 9200, and, although the PTE demos are pretty good, there is still signs of small pauses in the first demo and in the fractals demo. I wonder whether improving processor speed or memory would have any benefit or whether it is just a question of graphic card speed and memory.

Jeff

jeveans,

Click on start button, then run and enter dxdiag shoud do it.

ken

:rolleyes:

Ken to the rescue yet again! Thanks for the reminder about how to find the Diagnostic tool.

I have also updated to DirectX version 9.0c in order to cure a coulple of problems I had wity version 5 of PTE.

Ron

For Pan/Zoom in fact only video card is the most important factor. Almost any CPU and memory size at least 256 MB

NVIDIA Geforce 4 Ti4200, 5600 or 6600 (or ATI Radeon 9600, X600) already in several times more powerful than v5.00 requires for Pan/Zoom. So no need for more powerful video. I already don't speak about Geforce 7900/Radeon X1900 where we can load only 5 or 10% of this video card :)

I think after releasing of Windows Vista (January of 2007) almost all video cards will be quickly upgraded. So all laptops/PC will have powerful video cards. Their new 3D Aero Glass user interface requires very powerful video card. Reliability of DirectX and video drivers also will be very high, because Windows Vista will be built on DirectX.