WnSoft Forums

A comment on graphics card problems

nickunwin

I've been exchanging information with Igor over the last few days regarding a strange problem we've had with a new graphics card.

We'd previously used an old 64Mb NVidea Gforce 2 MX400 card in a PC, and while it worked with PTE5beta, it had a few issues with being slow. So, I decided to upgrade it to a 256Mb XFX6600 (AGP). After installing it, PTE5 performance seemed to have plummeted almost to the point of unusable! Not at all what was expected :huh::( . PTE would work OK for the 1st three slides, and would then seem to hesitate for a second or so when a slide disappeared before carrying on - the music would play normally.

After a lot of help from Igor with test programs, I finally found that neither PTE nor the Graphics card were the problem - it was the nForce2 drivers for the motherboard. It seems likely that the uninstall software for the old graphics card also took out the MoBo nForce2 drivers, and that that badly affected the performance of the CPU, RAM and IDE subsystems.

So, if you've had some stutter, hesitancy or performance issues with your video cards, also make sure that you have installed the latest and greatest drivers for the *rest* of your system too!

A very big thank you to Igor for all his support, it is unusual to come across such dilligent help in the software world these days!

Nick,

It's very wonderful that you found reason of the problem! I'm very grateful to you.

Only one correction - Geforce 6200

This case is added to my database.

I just thought that I missed to suggest test with playing of sample of HDTV video clip. I'm sure that Media Player could had exactly same problem.