WnSoft Forums

Does anybody have the answer??

Tomuk

Hi! all,

I have a problem with AVI files playing in Windows Media Player, I created the file using Screen Recorder and saved it to my desktop then on to CD.

The result plays on my machine in Media Player but not on my friends, all he gets is the sound track and a black blank screen, can anybody supply the answer????.

Tom.

Just to add to Tom's note, both Ralph and I have problems with WMP, too, when attempting to play wide-screen DVD's created with "DVD Builder". There is both sound and video, but the images are shown in 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9.

Just to add to Tom's note, both Ralph and I have problems with WMP, too, when attempting to play wide-screen DVD's created with "DVD Builder". There is both sound and video, but the images are shown in 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9.

Al,

Just a guess but it may be due to a missing or corrupt video codec on you computer. I have had instances where a DVD file will play with sound but no picture and vice versa and this was solved by downloading another codec. However unfortunately i cannot remember which one. Perhaps Ken or Hawk may be able to tell you.

Jeff

Hi Tom,

I'm quite sure it's a codec missing or a codec which needs an update.

You can diagnostic which codec is missing with Gspot (free tool) :

- Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.

- Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system.

Download it here by example : http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

dont know where my additional entry went

but

see

How to play AVI

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_avi.cfm

describes some of the steps to root out the problem

and from my log today

made a default avi and put in builder box

completed all functions -- took 4h22min

disk = 581 mb -- includes audio_ts and video_ts + 37 jpgs

played continuously in dvd player tv set up

wmp 10 will not play dvd

OR

VTS01_1VOB

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...amp;id=C00D11CD

powerdvd , WINDVD, DIVX 6, NERO SHOW TIME will play

VTS01_1VOB

will maybe try to make one with nero with mpg and or video_ts

and see how it plays

nero made a data disk with the mpg and video_ts

plays on dvd tv, and plays with wmp 10

mpg plays with wmp 10

dvd disk size is 1.01 gb

ken

To.....TheDom,jevans, Al and Ken........

Cheers lads once again you have come up with the goods, yes it was the codec.

The AVi file I created (In screen Recorder) used FMcodec.dll a codec that comes with Screen Recorder, but not with Windows.

Here's what I did.....I went into Windows system32 folder and copied the codec, saved it to usb flash memory and installed it on my friends machine and......... Bobs your Uncle,Fannies your Aunt, The AVi video now plays in his WMP.

This does'nt realy solve anything fo the long term, I now have to find a common codec that I can use in my copy of Screen Recorder that will produce AVi's that will play on most machines, any ideas????????.

Tom.

To.....TheDom,jevans, Al and Ken........

Cheers lads once again you have come up with the goods, yes it was the codec.

The AVi file I created (In screen Recorder) used FMcodec.dll a codec that comes with Screen Recorder, but not with Windows.

Here's what I did.....I went into Windows system32 folder and copied the codec, saved it to usb flash memory and installed it on my friends machine and......... Bobs your Uncle,Fannies your Aunt, The AVi video now plays in his WMP.

This does'nt realy solve anything fo the long term, I now have to find a common codec that I can use in my copy of Screen Recorder that will produce AVi's that will play on most machines, any ideas????????.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

You have just experienced one of the most frustrating issues with video. There really is no "universal" codec which everyone will necessarily have, but you will find that most have the Windows MPG 1 codec so for things like Screen Recorder, that's probably a safe choice. "Everyone" won't have it but the majority will.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tom,

You have just experienced one of the most frustrating issues with video. There really is no "universal" codec which everyone will necessarily have, but you will find that most have the Windows MPG 1 codec so for things like Screen Recorder, that's probably a safe choice. "Everyone" won't have it but the majority will.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi! Lin,

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply.

As you may have gathered from my previous post,I managed to overcome my problem with my friends machine reading my AVi's, this still leaves the problem of my movies playing on other computers. I have tried the codec you suggested,the problem is Screen Recorder does'nt seem to like it, I have e-mailed the support team for SC and requested some assistance, I shall keep you posted as to the outcome as I gather from other posts you are keen on this sort of thing.

Tom.