WnSoft Forums

Help please tracking Mao

RayC

Hi,can anyone help me please, I need to do a slideshow for my granddaughter with the use of a tracking Map but having problem with geting a decent picture of the map.

If anyone could help with a bit of Information it would most appreciated.

Ray

Hi,can anyone help me please, I need to do a slideshow for my granddaughter with the use of a tracking Map but having problem with geting a decent picture of the map.

Ray

Can you provide some more information on what you want to do, and where you are having trouble? Your query is a little too broad to answer at this stage.

Colin

Hi Ray,

There are several ways to get a good map image. If the map is amenable, a scanner usually will do a great job. Otherwise, place the map on a wall and set up your tripod and photograph it without flash in a reasonably well lit room with the camera exactly level and perpindicular to the map. If it is a commonly found map perhaps others may have a good copy?

Lin

Ray

Tracking Map

Ray,

This is easy to do with superb quality if you 'Save As' PNG Images for Editing.

Just open the 4 Examples (in order) shown as 'Attachments' below...

View the 'Images' in Full-Screen mode.

Brian.Conflow

post-1416-1205506886_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1205506901_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1205506916_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1205508515_thumb.png

Hi Colin And All,

For you very quick resonse,Colin I should have given more details of problem and you being a new zealander

may be the best for my problem.

I took my grand daughter for a one week trip down the back road from Christchurch Via Oxford to Geraldine then on to Cromwell on to Alex and all other areas around there even Bendigo, St Bathans then on to Palmeston and up the Main Highway calling at the Moiraki Bolders and Akaroa then back to Christchurch.

My Problem with the Map although enlarged Tracing the track with some of the roads still looking as being close

where as in fact there can in reality be quite a distance and although on my cutout map appears to be fine when run on PTE the tracker tends to run on my return track for some distance before continueing on the down ward track.

May be I should enlarge my Maps even more and if so how much could I enlarge to.

Thanks a lot for even replying.

Ray

Ray,

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to explain ~ if its the apparent nearness of the 'Outward Road'

to the return 'Highway', well then thats quite true, they are way less than 15.Km apart at Geraldine.

Now what do you want to do with your Map ?...

If you want to represent 'Travel Distance' there is an old Cartographers trick, where by, you draw an

elongated Elipse and mark it with heavy 'Points' and lighter 'Points' each respectively represents a large

Towns and smaller Villages and the Elipse gives the 'illusion' of Travel & Distance.

You can replace the 'Points' with 'Thumbnails' and when each is clicked it shows a Map Photo-Location.

Also,within the Elipse why not insert the Map of New Zealand ?...

Have a look at the "Map Attachment" which will explain all. But trying to do this with your 'Travel Route' will

prove virtually impossible because it wasn't a circulous route in the 1st instance as both Roads run nearly

parallel for quite some distance. Give the Elipse a try...

Brian.Conflow

post-1416-1205559772_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Brian,

I will give that a try, It does actualy get worse Once we were in Cromwell we also went to Arrowtown then Wanaka and from there we took the road from Lagoon Valley to Mt Pisa and Cromwell, Also on way back to Christchurt

we branched off to Lincoln and Akaroa so these areas would be a real No No on a map.

The thing is My Grand Daughter lives in Auckland (does not get chance to get to these areas very often) She is doing Photography course at College and in a few weeks time they are going to have a look at doing AV and useing PTE.

I did show her Bic,s Slideshow of Inversnaid, she said right away once they get on to the AV course she would like to do a show useing a map also useing her Photos taken on our trip.

So maybe something on the lines of Bic's map may be easier for her.

Thanks for your help anyway Brian.

And all the best to you for the forth comeing easter.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Here's another way you "could" do it. I didn't take a lot of time with this so not perfect but it consists of using a cut-out PNG over a jpg of the map and several blue rectangles between with a couple black masking rectangles on top and bottom to hide the blue splash.

here's the zipped exe:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/ray.zip

and the PTE zipped

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/raypte.zip

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thank you very much thats fantastic my grand daughter will be a very happy girl, I did tell her how wonderful

the people are on this Forum maybe she will tell her friends at college about PTE and maybe we will get a few more

New Zealanders useing it.

thanks again lin you have been a great help as always.

Ray

Hello Ray, Lin, and Brian,

Well, I might be a Kiwi, but these overseas fellas have beaten me to it. 'Course, they were posting while we were sleeping. Anyway, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

Yes, BJC (Barry Colquhoun) used a travelling arrow to show his journey, and Lin's produces a thin colored line to indicate travel, but where roads are close together as in NZ, there could be problems with inadvertently covering more than one road at once.

I envy you your trip with your granddaughter. I have three g'daughters, two are 5 and 7, but the oldest is 18, and she is very quiet, almost taciturn, and I can't see myself ever being able to do anything like that with her. Pity.

Colin

PS: Out of four daughters, four sons-in law, and 10 grandkids, only one shows any interest in photography. My youngest daughter, and she owns a 40D, lives in Hong Kong, and makes stunning pictures. I gotta get her onto PTE.

Hi Lin and all,

"The wonders of Gif's and PnG's" ~ I like the scrolling modification you made to the Map of New Zealand

which I had Posted above. I'm into 'Travelogues' big time and its a technique which I use when the Map

is relatively uncomplicated and its a great Audiience feature.

Lately I have been using a "3-D Elipses" technique, which slowly rotates then stops and the next Map-Stop

is highlighted where after a small 'Exe' runs and then back to the Elipse again. So Ray has 2 good techniques

to play with, and you know, its a pity such techniques are not more frequently used with PTE Presentations

as they are great Audience 'attraction' features.

Best from Dublin,

Brian.

Lin Evans,

I watched you example of mapping and was impressed. A number of people of asked me how to do this but I have been unable to help them because I can't do it myself yet. Is it possible for you to produce a short AVI tutorial on the method you used? I could then convert itt into a pdf tutorial for others who prefer a written tutorial with screenshots.

Ron West

Hi Ron,

On the Tutorials and Articles link, look at my PTE Made Easy series - the map creation is the last one of the series.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans,

I watched you example of mapping and was impressed. A number of people of asked me how to do this but I have been unable to help them because I can't do it myself yet. Is it possible for you to produce a short AVI tutorial on the method you used? I could then convert itt into a pdf tutorial for others who prefer a written tutorial with screenshots.

Ron West