WnSoft Forums

Templates

11pete34

I have created a 'Template' of a complex slide animation used at the start of a project. I now want to add the 'Template' with new slides later in the project. How can this be done, because every time I try the template open as it's own project.

I would also like to use one of The Dom's templates within one of my own projects; but again it always opens as it's own project.

Can 'The Dom'or anyone else help with this?

Peter John

Hello Peter,

Here is the method Hawk provided (original post here : http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....mp;#entry31206)

Copy the slides of your template, do not close PTE, and open the project you want to copy the slides to.

Then paste the slides copied wherever you want in the slide list.

Hi TheDom,

Thanks for your helpful reply, it does work. I noticed in the user guide by Lin and Jeff Evens they say very little about templates, mainly that they have been superseeded by Zip Files. I see templates, like the one's available from your web site as a way of storing and re-using many of the sequences between a pair of slides or complex transformations using a number of slides that sometimes take quite some time to create.

Hi Peter,

As you have discovered, the "template" feature in PTE is really not a true "template". In old versions of PTE the template feature was a more primitive way of doing what the "zip" feature does today. The zip feature encapsulates the PTE file along with all the images so that you can later simply unzip it in a folder of your choice and continue with modifications or changes and additions to your project without having to keep track of the individual components and their locations.

What Hawk did was explain how it's possible to copy and paste segments or complete slideshows and incorporate them in other shows. When theDom or I or anyone else creates a so called "template" it's simply a way of allowing the user to substitute their own files for the ones in the "template" so that they can enjoy the same transitions, animations, etc., as found in the "template" examples. But to do this, it requires the user to rename their images, use the same number of images and in some cases, crop or resize them so that they are virtually identical to the ones in the template except for image content. This, of course, is not a true "template". A true template is a pattern which allows the user to re-create the design over and over again. A true software template would automatically rename, resize, etc., various files and place them in their proper places.

The reason Jeff and I did not spend a great deal of time with the template feature was that it would take many pages to explain to a novice user of PTE its rather convoluted use for the purpose you wish to use it for. We decided that the unofficial user guide was more suited to an overview of the features rather than a "tutorial" which many of us have created on various specifics of PTE use. The closest thing available to a true "template" is an Excel spreadsheet template done by Al Robins called PTE-5 Adjustor which you can read about and download here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6767

Best regards,

Lin

Hi TheDom,

Thanks for your helpful reply, it does work. I noticed in the user guide by Lin and Jeff Evens they say very little about templates, mainly that they have been superseeded by Zip Files. I see templates, like the one's available from your web site as a way of storing and re-using many of the sequences between a pair of slides or complex transformations using a number of slides that sometimes take quite some time to create.

Hi Peter,

As you have discovered, the "template" feature in PTE is really not a true "template". In old versions of PTE the template feature was a more primitive way of doing what the "zip" feature does today. The zip feature encapsulates the PTE file along with all the images so that you can later simply unzip it in a folder of your choice and continue with modifications or changes and additions to your project without having to keep track of the individual components and their locations.

What Hawk did was explain how it's possible to copy and paste segments or complete slideshows and incorporate them in other shows. When theDom or I or anyone else creates a so called "template" it's simply a way of allowing the user to substitute their own files for the ones in the "template" so that they can enjoy the same transitions, animations, etc., as found in the "template" examples. But to do this, it requires the user to rename their images, use the same number of images and in some cases, crop or resize them so that they are virtually identical to the ones in the template except for image content. This, of course, is not a true "template". A true template is a pattern which allows the user to re-create the design over and over again. A true software template would automatically rename, resize, etc., various files and place them in their proper places.

The reason Jeff and I did not spend a great deal of time with the template feature was that it would take many pages to explain to a novice user of PTE its rather convoluted use for the purpose you wish to use it for. We decided that the unofficial user guide was more suited to an overview of the features rather than a "tutorial" which many of us have created on various specifics of PTE use. The closest thing available to a true "template" is an Excel spreadsheet template done by Al Robins called PTE-5 Adjustor which you can read about and download here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6767

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

Thank you taking the time to read my post about Templates and offer so much information. I have also found my printed copy of your 'User Guide' extremely useful.

Out of curiosity have already downloaded Al Robins PTE-5 adjustor so your link to information about it will be useful as I had no idea it could be used as a Template.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Because it allows you to rename your files, etc., you can simply open an existing PTE file then swap file names, etc., it serves very nicely as a quick way to do what you want to do.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,

Thank you taking the time to read my post about Templates and offer so much information. I have also found my printed copy of your 'User Guide' extremely useful.

Out of curiosity have already downloaded Al Robins PTE-5 adjustor so your link to information about it will be useful as I had no idea it could be used as a Template.

Peter