WnSoft Forums

Self-playing DVD for computer and DVD player

Icypeak

I'm wondering how to go about making a show on DVD that will play in most DVD players (assuming compatability with DVD-R or DVD+R), but also will autoplay on computers with DVD drives (am I correct that a computer CD drive cannot read files or programs on a DVD?). I was thinking of using a video editing program like Pinnacle Studio, or similar, but would like the added features of a show made with PTE for viewing on the computer. If I put both types of shows on the same DVD, how will the computer know to not autorun the DVD video (I think that many computers autodetect them and start the DVD software without needing an autorun file), and only start the PTE show by an autorun.ini. Any ideas?

-David

Hi, David,

You are correct in assuming that ordinary cd-rom drives will not read DVD's. You also need special software to read DVD's from pc DVD drives.

Pinnacle is a good place to start when searching for DVD creation software - check Google and you will find several more. You could also do a search here on the forum for "video" (you cannot search for "DVD") as there have been several threads on this in the past.

PTE as yet has not been made compatible with video, as this is a "giant step" from a program design point of view. It is not a video program - just the best "still photo" AV software in the world. :)

I would say the answer is probably "yes", as long as you didn't have other autorun files on it for autostarting a DVD movie.

I don't have a DVD burner so cannot give you a definite answer - maybe someone else can help out here. Theoretically, it should be no different from autostarting from an ordinary CD-R.

I don't have my DVD burner yet, either, so can't test this out yet. I'll get a multi-mode burner that can to DVD+ or DVD- R and RW, but I still don't know what is the best format to use for general distribution/sales, given the complexities of the capabilities of DVD players of various brands, models, and ages.

-David

I don't have my DVD burner yet, either, so can't test this out yet. I'll get a multi-mode burner that can to DVD+ or DVD- R and RW, but I still don't know what is the best format to use for general distribution/sales, given the complexities of the capabilities of DVD players of various brands, models, and ages.

-David

David, I'd recommend a dual-format burner for sure. Your customers can check for compatibility of their player here:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Thank you. If I also include a PTE show (along with the seperate DVD video show) on the DVD, along with an autorun.ini, will it autoplay the PTE in a computer with a DVD drive?

Give me a few days and I'll test this.

Thank you all. After reading a bit more, I don't know if it's time to produce DVDR's for general distribution or not. It seems that about 15% of even the latest stand-alone DVD players can't read either DVD-R or DVD+R's, and I'm sure that number is much higher than that with older players. Seems like I'm setting myself up for lots of complaints, returns, and tech support emails if I go down this road...hmmmm

-David