WnSoft Forums

Getting many errors

foto1

I am getting a lot of errors. I got them with 5.64. So I went to to 5.7. I get them there too.

Sometimes the programs crash sometimes not. When it crashes as stated in earlier post

the project completly disappears. I have included pics of the messages.

OS=Vista

Ram 3 gig

CPU 2.4g dual core

post-2040-1246882062_thumb.jpg

post-2040-1246882094_thumb.jpg

post-2040-1246882354_thumb.jpg

thanks,

Dan, foto1

Hi Dan,

Let's deal with the "blue box" error first. This is telling you that an image file that you previously included in the project is no longer where it was when you included it. PTE doesn't actually take a copy of the image until you do a Create of an exe or some other output format. Up until that point, it simply holds a pointer to the image file. So, if you rename, delete or move the image file from where it was when you added it to your project, PTE is going to get upset and give you that "blue box" warning.

The best practice is to set up a new folder for each sequence and to copy into that folder all the image and sound files that you want to use when building each sequence. Worst practice is to build a sequence using images taken off CDs and USB sticks (removeable media) since these will not necessarily be available to PTE tomorrow when you come back to do some more work.

Can I suggest you modify your basic method of work and see how many problems vanish as a result?

Even if that doesn't clear up all your problems, it will mean that we have thinned the smokescreen down quite a bit and can, perhaps, see any remaining problems more clearly.

regards,

Peter

Hi Dan,

On the first error (the blue box) I notice that PTE is looking for your file on the F: drive. As Peter said, when this error occurs, it means PTE can't find the file where it was when the PTE file was saved.

The file may not have been moved by you, but when using external drives (such as indicated by the drive designator F:) the operating system is designed in such a way that without intervention by the user, drive designators do something called "cascade" when devices are added to the system. So, for example, if you were to plug in a different external device whether a hard disk, USB storage device, external DVD drive, etc., the designator F: may have been assigned to a different device. PTE will look for your file on the drive designator which was assigned at the time you created the PTE file and if it isn't found on the device currently assigned that drive designator then you will get this error message.

If you are using external devices (apparently you are) then there are ways in Windows of making semi "permanent" drive assignments. Do a web search on disk drive assignments for your particular operating system and you will find instructions. Giving an external device a permanent drive assignment will go a long way toward alleviating this issue in the future.

Best regards,

Lin