WnSoft Forums

importing video

Mike Reed

Hi

I am keen to add a short video sequence to a PTE Project.

I searched the forum for this subject and could only find a comment by Lin Evans in 2007 basically saying NO. With all the updates since then is it now possble and if so how and what file extension should be saved.

Hi Mike,

Importing videos is planned for future versions of PTE but is not yet available. On the other hand, there are ways to do it with workarounds if you are interested in trying it.

If you read the posts with sample here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10243

and here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10095

You can see what is currently available via template. How long is your video clip and how large in terms of image dimensions?

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mike,

Importing videos is planned for future versions of PTE but is not yet available. On the other hand, there are ways to do it with workarounds if you are interested in trying it.

If you read the posts with sample here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10243

and here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10095

You can see what is currently available via template. How long is your video clip and how large in terms of image dimensions?

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

The clip is 12 seconds long and 26mb in size although Adobe premier elements seems to allow me to save it at much lower resolutions.

You will gather from this that I am not a Video man I much prefer my SLR.

Mike

Hi Mike,

That size clip will probably be no problem for my template. If you will zip up the video clip and post a link to it, I'll have a look and let you know how it would work.

If you don't have a web site, go to Mediafire.com and upload the zipped clip there then a link to it on the forum...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mike,

That size clip will probably be no problem for my template. If you will zip up the video clip and post a link to it, I'll have a look and let you know how it would work.

If you don't have a web site, go to Mediafire.com and upload the zipped clip there then a link to it on the forum...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for your response. At the age of 72 some things are a bit beyond me and Zipping is one of them. I have the file saved as a windows media file of 277kbSequence_03.wmv and attached it here. Hope I've done the right thing.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Zipping is actually just using a program which is included with "most" computers today, but if not, you can always download a free zip program to use. What it does is envelop the file or files content in a protective compression which is more palatable to antivirus software. For example, many antivirus programs simply will not allow downloading an executable file, etc. Using zip allows you to place not only one file within this protective compression envelope, it allows you to place numerous files within one zipped file. When the recipient downloads this zipped file, they then use the same software to "unzip" the file or files and then have them on their storage device just as the originals before zipping.

In PTE there is a feature which zips the PTE file along with all the images for storage or transfer to another computer or storage device or via download to another person.

The wmv you have created is of quite low quality (play it back for yourself). If it is as good as you want, then let me know and I'll decompile it a place the images into the template for you. However, if the quality isn't up to what you expect, you may just try to right click your mouse on the original avi, etc., and see if you find a drop down menu which asks if you want to "zip" the file.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mike,

Zipping is actually just using a program which is included with "most" computers today, but if not, you can always download a free zip program to use. What it does is envelop the file or files content in a protective compression which is more palatable to antivirus software. For example, many antivirus programs simply will not allow downloading an executable file, etc. Using zip allows you to place not only one file within this protective compression envelope, it allows you to place numerous files within one zipped file. When the recipient downloads this zipped file, they then use the same software to "unzip" the file or files and then have them on their storage device just as the originals before zipping.

In PTE there is a feature which zips the PTE file along with all the images for storage or transfer to another computer or storage device or via download to another person.

The wmv you have created is of quite low quality (play it back for yourself). If it is as good as you want, then let me know and I'll decompile it a place the images into the template for you. However, if the quality isn't up to what you expect, you may just try to right click your mouse on the original avi, etc., and see if you find a drop down menu which asks if you want to "zip" the file.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin for your offer of help. After much fiddling around I think I might have a zipped file. So here goes. Should that fail can I e-mail you the file direct?

Mikesequence_01_mpeg2.zip

Hi Mike,

Try uploading the original file to Mediafire.com without zipping or changing. Notice that the zip file you have created only has the envelope, but nothing inside (see the byte size). Unfortunately my email will only accept up to 10 megabyte file size.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin for your offer of help. After much fiddling around I think I might have a zipped file. So here goes. Should that fail can I e-mail you the file direct?

Mikesequence_01_mpeg2.zip

Hi Mike,

Try uploading the original file to Mediafire.com without zipping or changing. Notice that the zip file you have created only has the envelope, but nothing inside (see the byte size). Unfortunately my email will only accept up to 10 megabyte file size.

Best regards,

Lin

Sorry Lin I am making a bit of a hash of this.

Ok I have uploaded it to Mediafire but what now, how do I get it to you or onto the forum

The file is Sequence 02 Around the lake High Def mpg and is 10.29mb.

I have played it from mediafire and there is no sound track but that is no problem as I can record that from Adobe Premier elements were I edited the video.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

There are several options at Mediafire - but for now just open Mediafire and right click on the link there and a drop down menu will appear. Copy the link and paste it in a reply here.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mike,

There are several options at Mediafire - but for now just open Mediafire and right click on the link there and a drop down menu will appear. Copy the link and paste it in a reply here.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I just hope that this is right as I have taken enough of your time already.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4efd580...be6ba49b5870170

Best regards

Mike

Hi Lin

I just hope that this is right as I have taken enough of your time already.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4efd580...be6ba49b5870170

Best regards

Mike

Lin

I've just tried to open the mediafile mentioned above and it says the file is empty so I am not sure if I am right clicking at the right place, I am begining to think that I have monopolised you too much and maybe I should give up on this one or I can edit it a bit more to get it below 10mb and then maybe I can just e-mail it to you. What do you suggest?

Ever grateful

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here's a link to the zipped PTE file with the video embedded. Just unzip it in a folder of its own and then you can copy the slide and place it into any show you have using Hawk's method. Just open the mike.pte file and copy the slide. Without closing mike.pte, open your slideshow where you want to use the video clip and paste it and save. You may want to extract the sound from your original video and add that to the slide.

Use the second rectangle down on the objects list to size and place the video clip wherever you want on the screen.

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/mike/mike.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

I've just tried to open the mediafile mentioned above and it says the file is empty so I am not sure if I am right clicking at the right place, I am begining to think that I have monopolised you too much and maybe I should give up on this one or I can edit it a bit more to get it below 10mb and then maybe I can just e-mail it to you. What do you suggest?

Ever grateful

Mike

Hi Mike,

Here's a link to the zipped PTE file with the video embedded. Just unzip it in a folder of its own and then you can copy the slide and place it into any show you have using Hawk's method. Just open the mike.pte file and copy the slide. Without closing mike.pte, open your slideshow where you want to use the video clip and paste it and save. You may want to extract the sound from your original video and add that to the slide.

Use the second rectangle down on the objects list to size and place the video clip wherever you want on the screen.

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/mike/mike.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin

I now have all the indivdual images and am assembling them into my show. By the way what is the Hawk method?

What a joy it is to be a part of the PTE world.

Best Regards

Mike

Thanks for coming in on this one Ken.

I am afraid it does not work.

From Lins extract I have managed to get all the indivdual png files into the slide view, then into the time line and the sequence plays ok. However when I go to save it or create an Exe file I get the Images not found message.

Trying the Hawk method of right clicking on the first slide brings up a selection screen but it does not include COPY.

I am using the latest PTE 5.7 Beta 7.

So as far as this all goes my glass is only half full.

Thanks for your interest

Mike

Hi Mike,

You're making it much too hard. From your description it sounds like you are trying to add each decompiled image as individual slides. This is not how it works.

The PTE file I sent you actually already has all your decompiled images in it in the proper order and all contained in a single slide as objects.

All you need to do is place the zip file I linked you to into a folder of its own and extract the PTE file into either the same folder or another.

Next, open the PTE file with PTE with your choice of PTE versions (use 5.7 if you want). You will only find one slide on the "main" menu (don't need to go to Objects and Animations screen). Right click on this one slide which will both select it and bring up a drop-down menu.

Left click on the first choice at the top "copy slide" - this puts the entire sequence which is contained as objects of this slide onto the clipboard.

Do not close this PTE file but now click on "File Open" and navigate to and open the PTE file you want to add the video sequence to.

From the main menu simply go to the place in the slide list where you want to insert the video sequence and right click. From the drop down menu, left click on "Paste".

Your video sequence is now added to the new slideshow. You can move the position of the video sequence in the slide show just by moving the slide just as you would move any other single slide. All the video sequence is contained on one slide.

That's all there is to it. You must then save this change in your show. I would suggest saving under another PTE name.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for coming in on this one Ken.

I am afraid it does not work.

From Lins extract I have managed to get all the indivdual png files into the slide view, then into the time line and the sequence plays ok. However when I go to save it or create an Exe file I get the Images not found message.

Trying the Hawk method of right clicking on the first slide brings up a selection screen but it does not include COPY.

I am using the latest PTE 5.7 Beta 7.

So as far as this all goes my glass is only half full.

Thanks for your interest

Mike

Hi Mike,

You're making it much too hard. From your description it sounds like you are trying to add each decompiled image as individual slides. This is not how it works.

The PTE file I sent you actually already has all your decompiled images in it in the proper order and all contained in a single slide as objects.

All you need to do is place the zip file I linked you to into a folder of its own and extract the PTE file into either the same folder or another.

Next, open the PTE file with PTE with your choice of PTE versions (use 5.7 if you want). You will only find one slide on the "main" menu (don't need to go to Objects and Animations screen). Right click on this one slide which will both select it and bring up a drop-down menu.

Left click on the first choice at the top "copy slide" - this puts the entire sequence which is contained as objects of this slide onto the clipboard.

Do not close this PTE file but now click on "File Open" and navigate to and open the PTE file you want to add the video sequence to.

From the main menu simply go to the place in the slide list where you want to insert the video sequence and right click. From the drop down menu, left click on "Paste".

Your video sequence is now added to the new slideshow. You can move the position of the video sequence in the slide show just by moving the slide just as you would move any other single slide. All the video sequence is contained on one slide.

That's all there is to it. You must then save this change in your show. I would suggest saving under another PTE name.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I think I am going to have to give up on this one.

Let me tell you what I have done.

Your Win Zip file has been saved to a new folder and its Properties shows it to be a zip file of 24.8mb. I have clicked the Unblock button just in case my anti virus is causing the problem.

I have then copied that folder using the copy option and saved it to my PTE project folder 'Through the tunnels'

When I try to open the PTE project I get the Pictures not found message BUT all the individual images then load into the time line and I can run the sequence in the preview window. In the File panel I do not get an individual slide but the folder icon, clicking on this (either left or right) has no effect

However if I then try to create an Exe File or preview using the Preview button for a full screen view I get the images not found message again.

When I open the sequence that I want to insert the video into and right click at the insertion point I do not get a paste option in the drop down menu.

The only thing that I think might be why it will not work is possibly my understanding of your instruction to 'Extract the PTE file into either the same folder or another' as I am not sure which PTE file you are referring to.

You have really tried with me but I fear the technical side may be beyond me.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I "think" the problem may be that you have not "extracted" the PTE file from the zipped file I sent you.

Even thought you may be able to "see" files within a zipped archive, they are not available to PTE until they have been extracted (unzipped). Sometimes you can even run zipped executable files without unzipping (extracting) them, but to use the PTE file and associated files I sent you, they "must" be extracted from the zip file.

Not knowing exactly what you have on your system in the way of zip/unzip utilities, why don't you download and install the following and use it to extract the PTE file.

http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_develop...pper/index.html

I think this may solve your problem.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mike,

I "think" the problem may be that you have not "extracted" the PTE file from the zipped file I sent you.

Even thought you may be able to "see" files within a zipped archive, they are not available to PTE until they have been extracted (unzipped). Sometimes you can even run zipped executable files without unzipping (extracting) them, but to use the PTE file and associated files I sent you, they "must" be extracted from the zip file.

Not knowing exactly what you have on your system in the way of zip/unzip utilities, why don't you download and install the following and use it to extract the PTE file.

http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_develop...pper/index.html

I think this may solve your problem.

Best regards,

Lin

I am sorry Lin but I still cannot get it to work. I shall therefore give up until Igor can find time to incorporate this into PTE.

Thanks for all the effort you put in to try and make it work for me. It is one of those things that I may use once in a year. I still prefer the true AV if I really wanted to do video I would not have used PTE. Long may it survive.

Best regards

Mike