WnSoft Forums

[FORUM] New Forum - A new problem

fh1805

I'm encountering a problem with using the new forum software that is different from any described elsewhere to-date.

I have my settings such that I should be receiving immediate e-mail notification for all topics to which I have contributed a post. I have contributed a post to Barry Beckham's topic on Image Size and, yes, I am receiving e-mails each time one of you chips in with your "four-penn'orth". But when I then go into the Forum and ask it to show me the new content (using View New Content), the Image Size topic never shows up.

Now, this post is in the Slideshows forum. I do not have "Watch this Forum" activated on that forum. Do I need to "Watch" a forum before I can "watch" any topics in it?

Is anyone out there absolutely certain that they are receiving all the e-mails that they should and that, when they go into the website, all the right entries are coming up as "New Content"? I'm not convinced that these features are working as I thought they should.

Is it just my set-up that's wrong or is there a deeper problem?

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

I assume you have activated the "Full Editor" option, then clicked the configure post options green button, then ticked the enable signature box, which then also activates the email notification of replies.???

Which is what I complained about earlier this week. Having to make 3 keystrokes, where previously 1 was needed.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric,

No! The e-mail notifications can be set once by using the settings options. Click on the little down arrow beside your userid in top right corner of the window. Go into My Settings and then explore the Settings and Forums tabs. If you get these values set properly the forum should send an e-mail in the precise situations that you want it to without you having to ask for the e-mail.

I now have the values set to watch any topic that I have replied to, and to send me an immediate e-mail whenever a new post is made to that topic. I also have Watch set on the FAQ Forum with immediate e-mail notification.

When I got the e-mail that you had replied to this topic, I came onto the website, did "View New Content" and your item came up in the list. So this time around everything has worked as I thought it should. That leaves me somewhat mystified as to what was going on before.

Added: And I nearly always use only Fast Reply. My signature is added automatically to each of my posts. I only go into Full Editor if I want some of the more fancy formatting or to add an attachment.

regards,

Peter

I'm encountering a problem with using the new forum software that is different from any described elsewhere to-date.

I have my settings such that I should be receiving immediate e-mail notification for all topics to which I have contributed a post. I have contributed a post to Barry Beckham's topic on Image Size and, yes, I am receiving e-mails each time one of you chips in with your "four-penn'orth". But when I then go into the Forum and ask it to show me the new content (using View New Content), the Image Size topic never shows up.

Now, this post is in the Slideshows forum. I do not have "Watch this Forum" activated on that forum. Do I need to "Watch" a forum before I can "watch" any topics in it?

Is anyone out there absolutely certain that they are receiving all the e-mails that they should and that, when they go into the website, all the right entries are coming up as "New Content"? I'm not convinced that these features are working as I thought they should.

Is it just my set-up that's wrong or is there a deeper problem?

regards,

Peter

Peter,

There are a lot of 'Microsoft' things going on just right now which are unconnected with the "New Forum" but none the less are having various 'global' impacts on all PC's running Microsoft Explorer etc,etc.

I have just posted a list of various Op.System upgrades and OE upgrades which are unknown to most users which are causing these impacts and most likely it's one of those which you have encountered.

See Link:-

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10551&st=20

My last Posting #34.

Brian (Conflow).

Brain,

Thanks for your useful (as ever) technical input. However, none of your situations apply. My operating system is Vista Home Premium SP1 (32 bit) and my browser is Firefox 3.5.2.

I've made one change to the forum and that seems to have resolved my problems. I have used the link at the bottom of the main page to "Mark Board as Read". It seems as though the new software needed to be given a precise and clean new "start point" against which to monitor changes. Since doing that I have not missed any posts in any of the watched topics and forums.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Further to the original post in this thread about emails, I haven't configured my profile to automatically receive emails when the topic is added to, I am using the "Use Full Editor Button" Then the green "Options" button, this then shows three options but only 2 boxes, I then tick the signature box, which highlights the "Receive emails" wording that doesn't have its own tick box. However, I am not receiving emails, and as reported previously I think it's a bug in the new system :(

Which is also a retrograde step from the previous system.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Further to the original post in this thread about emails, I haven't configured my profile to automatically receive emails when the topic is added to, I am using the "Use Full Editor Button" Then the green "Options" button, this then shows three options but only 2 boxes, I then tick the signature box, which highlights the "Receive emails" wording that doesn't have its own tick box. However, I am not receiving emails, and as reported previously I think it's a bug in the new system :(

Which is also a retrograde step from the previous system.

Yachtsman1

My Emails have now suddenly sprung into life, has someone swatted the bug???

Yachtsman1