WnSoft Forums

Show Slide Show on HD TV

Peter S

I have recently bought a Sony Bravia HD TV. I have linked this to my Laptop which is a MacBook. I can mirror the displays so I see on the TV exactly what I see on the laptop BUT.... I cannot get a PTE slide show to appear on the TV screen. It runs perfectly on the laptop. When connected to the TV I can get sound but no picture.

I am connecting the video out on the laptop via a DVI-D to HDMI lead and a separate sound connection from the headphone socket to the TV audio in that relates to the appropriate HDMI input. I am puzzled and would appreciate some help.

Many thanks

Peter

A TV set has different resolutions than a PC. I suspect that the PC is running at one of the standard PC resolutions which may not be able to be handled by the TV. For what you are trying to do you normally need a dual output capability where the laptop screen and the Laptops video output jack which is feeding the TV run at different resolutions. The TV probably wants to see resoultions like 1080P (1920x1080), or 720p (1230x720) etc. Your laptop may be running at something not compatible with the TV, and the TV may not be able to scale the signal.

IF the TV has a VGA type connection it will probably accept PC resolutions through that connector, but probably wom't accept them over HDMI. Check your TV's mnanual for connecting a PC.

Barry,

The OP has already stated that he can see a clone of his desktop on his TV.

What you say is not strictly true.

My Sony laptop is 1280x800 (16:10) but if I connect to an HD TV at either 1920x1080 or 1366x768 (16:9) via HDMI the TV and Laptop automatically sync the resolution to suit. I don't get a choice of resolution. The aspect ratio is then 16:9 with no distortion.

I do not then get the laptop monitor but have to work purely with the TV view.

With my setup if I try to use VGA I am restricted in the width of the image on TV to 1280x768 (on the 1366x768 TV) and the picture is nowhere near as sharp. I am very wary of making generalised statements on this topic because not all manufacturers of this type of equipment offer the same facilities.

If anyone intends to do a lot of this work then it is advisable to get a laptop and TV (or projector) with the same res i.e. 1920x1080. This is the way that Camera Clubs are now going with their laptop / projector setups.

DG

Dave and Barry thanks for your interest and your replies.

The Mac detects the Sony display as well as its own inbuilt LCD. So I get Display options allowing me to mirror the displays or not.

The options for the Sony TV are shown as 1600x900 60Hz NTSC which is auto selected for me and

1280x720

1920x1080

one of these is PAL.

I have tried them all without success and have tried mirroring on and off.

I am beginning to suspect that it may be something to do with the way that the Mac viewer works but I guess only Igor or Dmitry would know if that is the case?

I can view everything else I have tried on screen such as this forum and Lightroom.

Kind regards

Peter

Peter,

I think it means that unless you are using a HDMI connection you won't get 1920x1080.

I'm not sure that a DVI-HDMI converter is the same thing - maybe someone else (who has tried it)?

But I don't see how this would result in your problem - do you normally run your MAC to a separate monitor?

DG

My satellite receiver only has a DVI output. (no HDMI) I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to the HDMI connector on my Sony KDL-37XBR6 and it delivers 1920X1080 resolution. Separate cables deliver the sound channels. And I have successfully connected a Macbook pro to an HD TV using the same adapter. But I cannot confirm what resolution the TV was using except to see that the slideshow was showing full 16:9 display on the screen.

Don't know if this helps...

Dick

My satellite receiver only has a DVI output. (no HDMI) I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to the HDMI connector on my Sony KDL-37XBR6 and it delivers 1920X1080 resolution. Separate cables deliver the sound channels. And I have successfully connected a Macbook pro to an HD TV using the same adapter. But I cannot confirm what resolution the TV was using except to see that the slideshow was showing full 16:9 display on the screen.

Don't know if this helps...

Dick

DICK

might be of some use to some if you posted the source/model etc of the adapter

along the same line, the following url was just in another newsletter

http://www.mediagateusa.com/M2TV.html

Ever wanted to relive those key family vacation recordings in the comfort of your living room? How about listen to your favorite music, while viewing through a slideshow of your latest digital photos? All of that can be now done with the new MediaGate M²TVMedia Player, Media 2 TV never made easier! Scalability, portability and flexibility, all in Full 1080P

ken

I have as usual received excellent support on this issue from Igor and Dmitry.

For anyone else wanting to try this with a Mac here is the answer.

Mirroring has not yet been supported with the Mac Viewer but they will try to include it before the official release.

To show a slide show on a TV linked to a Mac:

Turn Mirroring OFF.

Go to System Preferences - Displays.

You should see two rectangles. I had a small one representing the LCD and a larger one representing the TV. The smaller one had a white band across the top indicating that the LCD was the main display.

Click on the white band and drag it to the TV display making it the main display.

Select the slide show and run it. You have to do this looking at the TV screen and I found it easy to loose track of where the cursor was. At times it appeared to vanish but I could always find it by moving to the screen edges.

Kind regards

Peter

DICK

might be of some use to some if you posted the source/model etc of the adapter

along the same line, the following url was just in another newsletter

http://www.mediagateusa.com/M2TV.html

ken

Oops Ken,

I may have led you astray... All I have is a cable adapter that plugs into the DVI connector on the TV (And the Macbook Pro) and provides a socket for the hdmi cable... Here is where I got it.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

Our satellite receiver (Shaw Direct - formerly known as Starchoice) does not have an hdmi connector, so this was the only way to get the HD output...

Very simple solution...

Dick

Oops Ken,

I may have led you astray... All I have is a cable adapter that plugs into the DVI connector on the TV (And the Macbook Pro) and provides a socket for the hdmi cable... Here is where I got it.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Our satellite receiver (Shaw Direct - formerly known as Starchoice) does not have an hdmi connector, so this was the only way to get the HD output...

Very simple solution...

Dick

thks Dick

i do not have full service cable therefore do not have the black box -COGECO- but have been told that my cable source does not have the hdmi connection either

with more and more people going HD tv every bit of info saves a bit of time and time is $$$$$$$$$$

thks again

ken

Well, I have an answer BUT.... I am still no wiser as to why everything except the PTE Mac viewer works perfectly well with Mirroring switched on. Still I am happy to wait and see how the release version caters for this. The same show ran perfectly well when I connected the MacBook to a projector and in my blissful state of ignorance I thought the TV would be just the same!

Peter,

My post above:

"Strange Peter,

Do you have any sort of Dual Monitor arrangement for the MAC which might be causing a problem?

DG"

On a PC it's Dual Monitor - on a MAC it's Mirroring.

DG

Stab in the dark:

In a mirroring situation your PTE is going to the VGA output.

When connected via DVI/HDMI only your desktop is going to the TV while the PTE is STILL going to the VGA.

If you are able to connect a second monitor to the VGA while also connecting to the TV via DVI/HDMI the second monitor will POSSIBLY be showing the PTE.

DG

This problem has now been sorted by Dmitry. Mac Versions made with the later versions of PTE work perfectly in mirrored mode.

I found no difference using HDMI or VGA connections as far as this particular topic is concerned.

I found that I had to use PC rather than HDMI etc to get the show full screen on the TV.

Kind regards

Peter

Dave,

You are quite right. I made it to match my PC resolution 1280 x 1024.

Now I have grasped the resizing concept I will be able to do better in future.

Peter

Peter,

A possible answer to the HDMI "problem" is that you did not build your show at 1080 high and had the "fixed size of slide " ticked.

HDMI and VGA inputs will treat this differently.

DG

Peter,

When it filled the screen in PC mode it was being upscaled from 1024 high to 1080 high.

That's not a lot but interpolation nevertheless.

When HDMI is used and correctly matched to your 1080 high TV (acting as a monitor) the show would play at "actual pixels" because the "fixed size of slide" was ticked.

DG