WnSoft Forums

Time For a New Digital Camera

RayPar

I think it is finally time for me to get a new digital camera. I currently own a Sony DSC-P30. While I have been quite happy with it, I find it not to perform quite well under low light conditions when it comes to focusing on the subject matter. I would like to get a camera that can focus quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with the new 35mm looking digital cameras (Nikon, Minolta, etc.). I have a Nikon 35mm rebel which I don't use very often anymore. I am wondering if I can use its lens on a digital camera as well.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Ray :rolleyes:

Hey, Ray.

Best choice: Olympus 2020z. Since I got my G3 I don't use it too much. Make me an offer.... ;-)

Seriously, you gotta check out the Sony V1. It has the fastest autofocus that I've heard of (short of a digital SLR). Also has low-light AF assist, and night shot feature. (Are you doing those "stake-outs" outside the neighbor's house again?) :-)

Check the review at www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/). There's a Sony forum on that site as well, so you can read discussions by actual and potential owners of the camera.

Same brand as your current, so you might be able to leverage some of your equipment. It lacks both a swivel LCD and remote (must-have's for me) but other than that i believe it is a pretty nice digicam.

Dana

I can certainly recommend the Canon EOS 10D if you're seriously looking at a digital SLR. The quality of the photos have to be seen to be believed. At £1300 for the body alone it sounds expensive, but I already had a standard Canon SLR so I didn't have to splash out on lenses. I won't bore you with all the specifications and functions - all I can say, is that it's positively the best piece of equipment I've ever bought.

I own a Nikon D100 and I'm very happy with it; my decision was easy to make as I have several Nikon cameras, lenses and accessories, being an old Nikon addict (since 1972 !).

I'm not saying that it is best or worse than the Canon 10D, I think that they both are highly comparable cameras. The Fuji S2 is also worth being taken into consideration. Now, if you aren't in a hurry and do not already have Nikon or Canon lenses, the new Olympus could be an excellent alternative as it incorporates new features and seems really interesting.

Gérard

Thank you for your feedback everyone. Looks like I have lots to read in order to make an educated deceison. I currently have a Canon Rebel EOS so I'll be sure to look at their Digital SLRs. The Olympus E-series also seem to be nice cameras.

Back to research. :o

Ray :rolleyes:

If you have an Eos Rebel, Ray, have a look to new Digital Rebel (300D in Europe, Kiss Digital in Japan): a very interesting camera similar to Canon 10D, but much less expensive (less than $899 body only, less than $999 with 18-55mm f/3.4 - 4.5). You can read an in-depth review by Phil Askey in dpreview and another in Imaging Resource.

The new Sony DSC-f828 looks like a very good deal, 8 megapixels 7* 28 to 200 zoom lens and other features abound, plus for the first time ever they have introduced compact flash slot to a Sony B)

As ever there is a preview on DPreview

Mike

Mersea Island