WnSoft Forums

Creating DVD slideshow for TV

MervynWigg

I have been asked to make slideshow on DVD using some 50 images taken with compact digital camera to be shown on 16:9 TV. I have found posting suggesting setting PTE to 16:10 and cropping (as opposed to re-sizing?) to 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 for HD. Is there a way to make a mask to re-position over each image to select preferred visible area and then crop to it?

I have PTE v 5.6 and setting size controls in Project Options/Screen to either of above sizes to test results, produces image well within TV safe area so not clear purpose of this option.

Perhaps a Tutorial on this subject can be produced which I am sure will be appreciated by many.

Freddy

Freddy,

If your intended ultimate output destination is a 16:9 TV why are considering setting 16:10 in PTE? PTE supports 16:9 aspect ratio. Also, what is the native resolution of the TV (in pixels by pixels)? Whatever it is, that is the size that you should make your image files using image editing software such as Photoshop or functional equivalent.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

With respect, what is the point of making the images at the same resolution as the TV if his output is a DVD version?

The software will reduce it to PAL dimensions anyway (768x432).

Using the TV resolution would only apply if a laptop/PC were used and the connection between laptop and TV were HDMI/DVI.

DG

Hello Freddy,

I am not quite clear on what kind of tutorial you would like to see.

If all you are wanting to do, is resize you images to a particular size/resolution/aspect ratio then

a simple Photoshop action might be the way to go. I suggest that it is always wise to use the 'Crop' method

as opposed to just 'resizing' because you can then choose the area that you crop.

Ron

Hello Freddy,

I am not quite clear on what kind of tutorial you would like to see.

If all you are wanting to do, is resize you images to a particular size/resolution/aspect ratio then

a simple Photoshop action might be the way to go. I suggest that it is always wise to use the 'Crop' method

as opposed to just 'resizing' because you can then choose the area that you crop.

Ron

Ron,

Thank you for reply. What I would like to know is how to convert 4:3 images to fit as well as possible a 16:9 TV screen. Previous posts have differing opinions ie on 12.5.08 it was suggested setting PTE to 16:10 and images to 1750x100x72 or 1920x1080 for HD but as you can see this is already queried! Also posting 10.1.09 suggests 1920x1080 for HD but disable Pan and scan in VideoBuilder. The difficulty in finding answers to the following in forums is why I suggested that in the absense of any clear basic guidance a tutorial will be of interest to those wishing to use the DVD facility.

1. What size should the image be when placed in slide list?

2. How is this achieved and if by masking how to make mask to size?

3. What is the purpos of the re-sizing tool in Project Options Screen?

Freddy.