WnSoft Forums

Possible Windows 7 problems

Severn Bore

Hi Igor

Trust you had a good holiday.

I followed nobeefstu's advice to uncheck the show original slides under the View > Advanced options menu. PtoE seems to work OK with those settings without having to resort to a change in the compatbility mode. This is workable as I can see little difference in using PtoE this way apart from the fact that when I play animations under objects and animations movement is a bit hesitant whereas that was not the case under Vista.

I have not tried Goddi's suggestion in his last post on this thread as I do not want to risk undoing where I am now. As you will have read, I tried all sorts of ways to get PtoE working, icluding disabling my security settings (which had not changed from Vista). I also have the latest vido card drivers and DirectX 11 which came with them.

It has all been very frustrating, but will be worth it if I can get your wonderful program working as it used to.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Kind regards

Andrew

Hi Goddi

Thanks for your contining interest, but please see my latest posting to Igor in this thread.

In fact, although I am running Win 7 Ultimate, my All Programs menu strangely does not list the virtual PC option. I will investigate further.

Just a bit more info.

I found it necessary to download and install Windows Virtual PC and now have virtual XP on my PC. I then installed PtoE6 into virtual XP as this is quite separate from the Win 7 version. Unfortunately it will not run on XP either as a warning appears saying PtoE requires hardware accelleration of the video card, requiring DirectX 9 or higher and recommending install or reinstall of the latest video drivers.

These are already installed so it suggests to me that the problem points to a defective video driver, but how I resolve this I have no idea. :(

My apologies...I totally forgot that you have to download the 'Windows Virtual PC' for Windows 7 from the Microsoft site. Windows 7 is giving me other fits so I did not remember what I did. Well, at least, this seems to have helped narrow down the cause. of the problem. For video drivers, I think you need to go to the site for your video card maker and see what drivers are available and hopefully they will work in Windows 7. Hope that works.

Gary

=======================

Just a bit more info.

I found it necessary to download and install Windows Virtual PC and now have virtual XP on my PC. I then installed PtoE6 into virtual XP as this is quite separate from the Win 7 version. Unfortunately it will not run on XP either as a warning appears saying PtoE requires hardware accelleration of the video card, requiring DirectX 9 or higher and recommending install or reinstall of the latest video drivers.

These are already installed so it suggests to me that the problem points to a defective video driver, but how I resolve this I have no idea. :(

Hi there!

You have described the problem very well - it's exactly what happened to me at first. I have a new computer, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. When my poor machine got into that excited state, even the Task Manager window got the jitters. Starting a new project, adding one slide, then adding a second slide - that was enough to trigger the strange behaviour.

I would love to be able to tell you how I solved the problem ... but it seems to have simply gone away. Perhaps there was some Windows update. Possibly the fact that I changed desktop themes had something to do with it (as I see someone else has hinted at that). Maybe it was simply a reboot. Could even have been the fact that my pte file was transferred to my laptop, changed there and saved, and transferred back again.

Sorry to be so vague, but I think you will succeed if you try enough suggestions. It's now behaving perfectly for me.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!