WnSoft Forums

Another Registration / Upgrade Issue

mhwarner

Just a heads up to Igor and the team that there still seems to be problems with the registration / upgrade process. The other day I realized that my license to the Deluxe version of PTE had expired. I re-registered and shortly received the confirmation email from WnSoft. However, the email mentioned that the key was contained in an attached file and it went on to give instructions for saving the file and using the "Load a Key" button within PTE to update the registration. There was no attached file. Instead, the information which presumably should have been included in the file appeared at the bottom of the email.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WnSoft\VideoBuilder]

blah blah blah

I recognized it as information to update the Windows registry, and since I am comfortable editing the registry manually, I did so and all is well with my license now updated. However, I'm sure that there are many users who would not have a clue what the information was or how to update their license. Perhaps a bit of work is needed. This may be what happened to another poster here recently. I chose to start a new topic because I thought his title was a bit rude for this forum.

Yes, I too thought that poster was somewhat immoderate, and nearly replied rebuking him for his attitude and choice of language, but thought then that any rebuke would probably inflame the situation so I left it.

However, what made me write this post was surprise at your statement that you manually edited the registry. When I unlock VideoBuilder, and this works for new installations of PTE as well, I copy and paste the complete registration string including the speech marks into Notepad, then save it as 'reg.reg'. A file with an extension of '.reg' when run as a program will insert the data straight into the registry from any folder in the computer. It does not have to be in the PTE folder, and I generally store the file with my other registration data for other programs I have in my machine in case I ever have to reinstall.

Hi

Apologies in advance, but I fear my brain cells are atrophied!

I have just used videobuilder and it says mt PtoE de luxe key has expired. Having read previous posts and threads it appears I had overlooked the fact that video builder came free with PtoE de luxe for only 2 years. However, I have just clicked on the "prolongation" option which opened up a web window for upgrading or extending PtoE? Does this actually cover upgrading of Video builder as well?

I believe so. The "upgrade" means an upgrade from "Standard Edition" to "DeLuxe Edition" (i.e. the purchase of the two-year licence for the Video-Builder feature).

You do not have to buy a fresh licence for the "Standard Edition" that is still a "licence for life".

regards,

Peter

I believe so. The "upgrade" means an upgrade from "Standard Edition" to "DeLuxe Edition" (i.e. the purchase of the two-year licence for the Video-Builder feature).

You do not have to buy a fresh licence for the "Standard Edition" that is still a "licence for life".

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, will give it a go.

Andrew

However, what made me write this post was surprise at your statement that you manually edited the registry. When I unlock VideoBuilder, and this works for new installations of PTE as well, I copy and paste the complete registration string including the speech marks into Notepad, then save it as 'reg.reg'. A file with an extension of '.reg' when run as a program will insert the data straight into the registry from any folder in the computer. It does not have to be in the PTE folder, and I generally store the file with my other registration data for other programs I have in my machine in case I ever have to reinstall.

Thanks. I knew I could do that as well, but it just seemed easier to edit the registry directly. Not for the faint of heart, of course, but I'm used to doing it.

if you go to the Beechbrook and get Stu's utility it will do all this

Author's PTE Presentation Notes Presentation Name: KeyCopy - Tool

Download Count: 530

File Size: 132K

Contributor: Stu Rands

Contributor's Email: nobeefstu@netzero.net

Notes: If your PC registry still has the key registration information (you can easily tell by opening PTE and it works without prompting you to "Load A Key") ... then this KeyCopy utility tool will easily create a backup registration key file for you.

http://beechbrook.com/pte/

http://beechbrook.co...yid=2&view=View

then you can put the information on a floppy/cd for safe keeping

ken