WnSoft Forums

Help recovering registration key

Larry Weinstein

Larry,

As to the exact name of the KEY file ... I believe this has changed.

PTE.KEY use to be the normal name and extention used. However, with all the mail attachment config restrictions people are setting ... alot of users are blocking and not receiving their keys as in the past.

A sure fire location is your REGISTRY. Open Regedit.exe search for this key name :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTE]

"Key"="#*************"

Once you find this location ... just export this key value as a filename to your desktop or someplace ... then copy it to disc for later use. All you have to do then is dbl click it to re register PTE when the time comes.

Of course your actual key digits will vary than the example shown above ("#*************").

There should be a ZIP file PTEReg. Go for it and good luck.

Ron [uK]

As to the exact name of the KEY file ... I believe this has changed.

PTE.KEY use to be the normal name and extention used.

Stu,

You are correct- it is still PTE.KEY. And to be sure it is the right one, it should be 231 bytes in size.

Larry, in case you haven't yet successfully captured the PTE key from the Windows registry as described, I have a utility PTEkey.exe that can capture the key and save it for you, as long as the key data has not been lost on the failing hard drive.

I will send email to you through your forum Email button. Please reply with your return email address and then I'll send the utility to you directly. Just run PTEkey.exe and it will recreate the 231 byte pte.txt key file in the same folder where the PTEkey.exe utility is located. You can then save the pte.txt key file to a CD-R disc or other safe storage medium.

PTEkey.exe will read the PTE key from the Windows registry official storage location and write out the exact syntax as WnSoft mailed the key to you in a file created with pte.txt file name. This matches the key file name that WnSoft has used for key attachments.

For anyone who has lost their key file, PTEkey.exe will recreate it for you so that you can safely store it. Just send email to me from the button below and request the PTEkey.exe utility. This utility will not generate a key from thin air to make an unregistered copy of PTE work. You must have a working, registered version of PTE on your system for a key to exist in the Windows registry storage location and thus, for this utility to work.

Good point Inna. It is wise to save the order number on paper in addition to the key file when someone makes a backup of PTE registration info. The order number alone provides a way to get the key file in the event of a hard drive crash and the key file was not saved elsewhere. The order number on paper should be more difficult to lose. While the key may be storable on paper, I wouldn't even attempt to transcribe it. And WnSoft's order number based key retrieval makes transcription unnecessary. I hope that you can also just do a search by customer name and location or email address as a last resort when all else was lost.