WnSoft Forums

HELP! Entire Project Lost!

foto1

I was working a long and I got a message that Said "Out of Memory"

When IO tried to save. I got a message that said Access violation.

Program locked up.

I Shut program with Task Manager.

I expected to not have the work that was not saved. But that did not happen.

The entire project is missing! Where is it!?

thnaks.

Vista

PTE 6

Unfortunately, there is no way that any of us can know where it might have been saved, if it was saved at all. Have you tried using Windows' Search facility to try and find the files? Do you have a backup of an earlier version of the project?

When doing anything long and complex on a computer, irrespective of what software you are using, it is a good working practice to save your work every 15-30 minutes.

Better still let the software do this for you. In PTE use View...Advanced Options...Auto Save Project...

regards,

Peter

Did you try to open it from PTE : File - Open... (instead of double clicking the .pte file) ?

Do you have an error message when you try to open it ?

You might want to check the first lines of the .pte too (with notepad).

Compare those lines with an other .pte project made with the same version of pte.

You can send me the project if you want me to have a look.

Hi Foto 1

And Members who may be interested in this topic ~ "Lost Images"

Foto1, this is a very tricky situation you find yourself in !! ~ the worse thing you can do is play around with

your Computer trying to retrieve those lost Files. You're PC is quite "ill" as it has lost "Page File Memory"

that is ~ its lost its ability to access enough 'Virtual-Memory" to continue working properly.

(This has nothing to do with user-memory or known as Ram-Memory).

It is so necessary that you follow the Instructions (below) to the letter and method given ~

1)

The 1st.priority is to download the 'Pandora-Program' given in the Attachments below. I have sent the program in

Zip-Format which when you open it will contain a (direct) MHTML Link to its Download-Page. When it downloads

the program 'Install-Exe' -DO NOT TRY- to install the Program at this point in time.

(The ZIP & MHTML Link are given to prevent program corruption from the Memory problem)

2)

The 2nd.priorty is to remove all excessive 'load' off the PC-System and the best way of doing that is:-

** Completely disconnect it from the Internet - I mean "pull-out" the Plug.

** Unload and then 'Shut-down' your Anti-Virus Program.

** Unload and then 'Shut-down' any Firewalls in use.

** Now 'Shut-down' the Computer completly (switch it off) ~ wait a while ~ now Cold Start it.

** Do absolutely nothing for 5 minutes.

** Now install the Pandora Recovery Program on to the Desktop.(Do not open it.)

** Its now absolutely necessary to do a 'PC Re-Start' so Pandora can re-register any Lost/Found Files.

** Now open Pandora and let it do a complete Hard-Drive Scan ~ wait for the Found-Files list,examine same.

3)

In future please remember that 'Save' is purely used for "work in progress" and is a working 'Temp-File' compared

to 'Save As' which is a Hard-Copy on the Hard-Drive ~ two different things entirely!

If Pandora cant find those Lost-Files I'm afraid they are not on the Hard-Drive although the dat.Files may still be

present but these are simply pointing to empty spaces.

Please let me know how you get on..

Best of luck.

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-126778971662_thumb.png

Pandora Recovery Freeware.zip

I did as you said with Pandora.

Pandora does not find the file. It says no deleted files.

This file was not deleted was it? It is just in the wrong place. Right?

It is stuck in appdata.

Am I doing something worng with Pandora? I have worked with it for several hours to no luck.

Any other Ideas. I know where the file is. Nothing else can be done with it to restore it?

(Wish I new before that Saving is not realy saving. :angry: )

Thanks

dan foto1

Dan,

You say in your post #3 that the sequence has been in the making for a year. So you must have some backup copies of it from your regular backups on to removeable media, right? So why not accept that you've lost the last few days' work and recover from the backup media?

regards,

Peter

Dan (Foto1)

You have me somewhat confused ~ Are you looking for a Folder or Image Files ??

Pandora is designed to find Lost-Images and if you can see the Image-Folder, open it with RH.Click

and see whats inside ? If you cant find the Folder it simply does not exist on the Hard-Drive.

You wrote...I can see it is stuck in "appdata"...As I said before this is probably a datafile,

right-click on "appdata" -->Select Properties-->When the new Window opens see what size it is ?

If its a few kilobit its a simple datafile pointing to an non-existing application.

Why cant you see any of the 'Project-Photographs' in the Pandora-Program ?? these will be shown

as Image-Icons with Title ~ if you cant see these, well the game is up !!

You may not know that when a Computer runs out of 'Virtual-Memory' it usually says, wait an I will now

increase the allotted Memory-Quota. Apparently this did not happen so in these circumstances any PC

will 'abort' the current running process..thats your Slideshow and unfortunately if the File(s)were not

"Saved As" it will overwrite those 'Temp-Files' in an effort to restore control of its own Systems.

Its the way it works.

I do hope there is another explaination...

Brian (Conflow)

I did not just lose unsaved yesterday.

I mean the project file , .pte

Gone. As if I never it never Existed.

Except for the appdata file. It think it only had photos in it.

I can see losing unsaved work but the whole file seems odd.

What should I do to get my machines mem back to par?

thanks,

dan

Dan,

We have a language problem ~ so I will make it simple:-

Question:- Have you done what I asked about the "appdata" File ?

Mouse Right.Click on "appdata" File-->Open it-->make Screenshot of File.

Now make a Message and attach the Screenshot to it and Post it here.

What is the make of your PC?

What is the Operating-System?

What is size of the Hard-Drive?

How much User-Memory do you have?

Brian (Conflow)

Brian,

It had pics in it.

I needed to get going.

I have to give this workshop tomorrow.

Did a system restore.

Unzipped a backup from another drive.

Have my staff all rewriting diferent chuncks.

In the End I lost a a couple of days work.

Saying this respectivly...

I do not have problems with ANY other programs and memory.

Just PTE.

My business in imaging.

I very often have gigs and gigs of files and multiple programs open and no problem.

PTE will have memory problems when it is the only program open.

Now I am doing save as after every new slide.

Got to go.

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Dan,

Another reference to remember for the future:

Whenever you use PTE's Preview function even though you may not save your current file ... PTE always creates a temp file named PreviewPteProject.pte in the User temp directory which has the latest addidtions and changes to generate the Preview.

Please note that this is not a permanent saved file and is only generated for Preview and is usually removed/cleared when the Prewiew has finished. However, in the case of a forced shutdown or abnormal closing of the PTE program the PreviewPteProject.pte may still possibly exist in the User temp directory for later retrieval. If you use PTE's Preview again prior to retrieving the last state of the preview file ... you will loose that old preview file completely because it will be overwritten with a new preview file.

Bottom Line:

In the event of any crash or shutdown ... retrieve the PreviewPteProject.pte as soon as possible if it exists. It may save a lot of time and extra work in such a case as yours. Wait too long or run PTE again ... it will be removed or overwritten with another preview instance.

** In the event of Memory problems ... that preview file may not have been generated.