WnSoft Forums

Size of pictures

Sunflower

I'm a new user and want to set up a presentation of 288 wedding photographs. I have found all kinds of info except the one piece I need to get started. What size do I need to make my jpeg photos? Is there a certain height to width ratio or pixel count to go by? Can any of you wonderful experts help me get started? Thanks!

Sunflower

welcome to the forum ;)

please tell members what size they are now

example

640/480, 800/600 ?

jpg gif?

70 to 100 kb each? -- this value seems to be the most popular

then you will have to decide what screen size you are going to make your show

then if you are planning on projecting the show -- use the search feature of the forum as progection size has been covered many times

also you might find the answer you are looking for using the search files

ken

It is usually recommended that pictures do not exceed 1024 pixels in width and/or 768 px in height so as to fit with most screen resolutions. PTE is able to shrink the size of the pictures if they are too big for the screen resolution (like 800x600, which is still common), but this takes some processing power and could be ennoying if the viewer doesn't have a relatively powerful machine. It depends also on the compression ratio you'll use for your jpegs as the weight of each picture counts as well.

As for me, after many trials on different PCs and screens, I've chosen an intermediate size of 900x600 (for usual 35 mm film ratio) or 900x676 (for digital files ratio): there's not a big difference with 1024x768 and it gives me the possibility to add a background picture without reducing the size of the main picture. More important: if the viewer's screen is badly adjusted, what happens very often, or of a rather poor quality (particularly in the corners), this size gives me the assurance that the images will still be viewed properly. Finally this size reduces the overall weight of the .exe file. But this is only a personal choice !

But I still produce (and keep for me) a 'full size' version as I use a 22" monitor with a 1800x1440 res.

Welcome, Sunflower

I personally like to use 800x600 screen size. The jpg images are usually end up not more than 125-150 kb. Keep Slide timing and Transition timing not too demanding ( fast slide timing and extreme fade transitions are demanding on slow PCs).

I assume you also distribute your shows via CD Disc ... CD Discs are slower than hard drive speeds ... so here again use caution on image size, slide speed and transition timing. (The above settings work rather well universally for most users PCs)

Also remember, the viewing qualitiy of jp images on screen need not be printing quality ... as some of your users will inevitably try to capture them without purchasing them. Add watermarks or other protection to your images if you really want to safeguard them.

Note: As for music ... ! always avoid use of the WMA file format