WnSoft Forums

Audacity

baldsparky

Hi

just a couple of questions about Audacity if I may.

Is there anybody who could tell me please if Audacity will run ok on a windows 7 64 bit operating system?

also

is it possible to use the record facility of Audacity to record what is playing on your computer if you have onboard sound, I know it is ok when you have a seperate sound card, but I seem to remember from way back that there might be trouble with on board sound?

many thanks

kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

From the Audacity website (audacity.sourceforge.net): "We continue to recommend the ongoing Beta series for Windows 7, Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.6, rather than 1.2."

Re: recording direct from the sound playback... What you might be recalling is discussion which took place on the forum several years ago about the sound quality achieved when using Audacity to do "open mike" recordings via the PC's jack sockets.

I use Audacity 1.3.11 beta to record what's playing through the sound card (e.g. streaming radio) and get excellent results.

Just one word of caution: there was a more recent post here on the forum warning of problems somebody encountered with the latest Audacity beta - v1.3.12 beta. You might want to track that down before you commit yourself to Audacity v1.3.12 beta.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

thanks ever so much for your reply, you say you record from your sound card, is this sound card a seperate one to your motherboard, or do you have onboard sound?

The reason I ask this is because I think in the past I had problems with recording direct from what was playing on the pc with onboard sound as Audacity didn't recognise it and I think the way I got round it was to have to buy a new sound card.

Also have I misunderstood or have you have listed both version numbers the same in your reply, which version no should I look for?

Many htanks once again

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

I was describing recording off my installed sound card (in a desktop system) rather than off the sound chips on a laptop motherboard.

I use Audacity v1.3.11 beta but v1.3.12 beta is the latest version available.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Peter

Hi

thanks Peter and Eric for your replies.

With my new desktop windows 7 64 bit system because I only have onboard sound I cannot use the recording side of Audacity because it does not recognise my onboard sound in the recording devices of the preferences menu. If anybody knows a way to overcome this any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi

just to let you know that I have solved my recording problem with Audacity. I had to switch on disabled devices in my recording devices in windows to be able to choose 'stereo mix'.

Once I had enabled this Audacity picked it up and enabled me to record.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards

Paul