WnSoft Forums

PTE 5.6 on problem [SOLVED]

Bas

I have used PTE for a long time, updating with no problems as far as version 5.5. Since then I have been unable to get ANY update to work. I am essentially happy to use my working 5.5 as it does everything I wish to do, so it has not concerned me too much. However, I was recently sent a disc created on PTE 6 by a friend - and my computer simply hangs up when I try to view it. As the disc works perfectly well on my ancient standby computer the disc is not the problem. Following an initial query to winsoft, I re installed my 5.5 and tried the updates again - but to no avail. Any suggestions.

The new problem is that I cannot open this slideshow EXE file that was created using v6. I have had no problem with other EXE files.

Bas,

You cannot open a v6 PTE project file in an earlier release of PTE. Or are you saying that it is the slideshow EXE file that does not work correctly?

regards,

Peter

Bas,

One stupid question if I may: You are trying to run the EXE file on a Windows system and not on a Mac aren't you?

Assuming you are not making that mistake then, frankly, I am baffled as to why a PTE-created EXE will not run on a Windows system. I've never heard of an EXE created in any version of PTE not being executable on a Windows platform. Yes, there can be problems with resource shortfalls but that doesn't usually prevent the EXE trying to run. So, what is/are the exact symptom(s) of this failure?

One further thought: you say the file is on disk. Have you tried copying the file off the disk onto either a USB memory stick or onto the PC's own hard disk drive and then run it from there?

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes I am using Vista. Copied and pasted to hard drive as suggested. Result (having then used the icon that DOES appear on screen to open the file) - Screen goes black then nothing. When I can eventually get out of that screen and start task manager I am advised that the programme is not responding (and I already know that!) I have never heard of the problem either -but it is happening. MAybe a new computer is the best answer!

Bas,

Before you take that expensive option, how about zipping the EXE file and uploading it to a file hosting service (e.g. MediaFire or YouSendIt) so that others can check it out? (Best to get the OK from your friend first, though!)

regards,

Peter

Bas,

Another after-thought and stupid question: it isn't a manually controlled show is it? The system isn't waiting for you to advance off the first slide by clicking the mouse or pressing the spacebar, perhaps?

regards,

Peter

I know that she has sent a least half a dozen copies of her disc to other recipients - and nobody else has had a problem. That seems to indicate that the issue is at my end. Point 2, no it isn't manually controled. 3 - as a fellow Yorkshireman you will no doubt appreciate that I will not be splashing out on anew computer if I can possibly find a solution to my current problem.

Barry

Bas,

Another after-thought and stupid question: it isn't a manually controlled show is it? The system isn't waiting for you to advance off the first slide by clicking the mouse or pressing the spacebar, perhaps?

regards,

Peter

Sometimes it is the most unlikely and illogical things that cause a compter to 'play up' so why not run a full virus check and then do a complete defrag on the drive that is suspect. This may not cure the problem but it can do no harm.

Ron

Barry,

Aha, a Yorkshireman, eh! A man after my own heart and upbringing. We've definitely got to find the least cost solution for you, then. On my part, it's now a matter of Yorkshire pride!

Next thought: is your operating system up-to-date with software fixes (those recommended by Microsoft as Important); and are your drivers (particularly those for the video and soundcards) all up-to-date, too?

Could it be that your anti-virus software is interfering? Have you tried disabling it temporarily to see if this has any effect?

What firewall do you run: Windows-supplied? other manufacturer's software (e.g. Norton Internet Security)? Also, and this is most important, are running only one firewall product on the PC?

regards,

Peter

Bas,

I agree with Peter's recommendation to temporarily disable your virus/firewalls as the first test so you can rule out its possible interference. Another quick and simple thing to do is also just right-click the exe and see how long the menu/properties takes to display or fails to display. Very slow or or failure to display the menu usually indcates there is some possible interference being caused by the virus/firewalls or the file may be damaged/corrupt.

As a Note:

Since then I have been unable to get ANY update to work. I am essentially happy to use my working 5.5 as it does everything I wish to do

Are you saying you cannot install the PTE v6 installer ? Also, installing a newer PTE program version plays no effect on how a particular slideshow.exe plays on your PC ... the slideshow.exe is completely standalone and does not rely on any installed version of PTE program files.

Barry,

Aha, a Yorkshireman, eh! A man after my own heart and upbringing. We've definitely got to find the least cost solution for you, then. On my part, it's now a matter of Yorkshire pride!

Next thought: is your operating system up-to-date with software fixes (those recommended by Microsoft as Important); and are your drivers (particularly those for the video and soundcards) all up-to-date, too?

Could it be that your anti-virus software is interfering? Have you tried disabling it temporarily to see if this has any effect?

What firewall do you run: Windows-supplied? other manufacturer's software (e.g. Norton Internet Security)? Also, and this is most important, are running only one firewall product on the PC?

regards,

Peter

According to Windows Security Centre, Firewall, Auto update, Malware protection are all on and other security settings OK.

No difference when Anti virus is off.

I have not done a driver check recently - but will do so.

Just a point though regarding only running one firewall. At one stage, I did install Avast - but then removed it. I wonder if it is possible that some part of that did not uninstall properly and is affecting things? I don't know enough about computers to know if that is a possibility or indeed how to remove something thathad been left behind.

Thanks for your help - I'll keep trying.

Regards

Barry

Good news everybody!

As I noted to Peter, I would do a driver update check - and was pleased to note that everything was OK there - but on the other hand it did not resolve my problem.

However I then did a check that I have supposedly done several times before to ensure that I was not running more than one firewall. I discovered a (free!) programme I installed some time ago called Threatfire. I didn't know what it was - but discovered it is a firewall supplied by PC Tools. When I tried to uninstall it I was unable to do so as something was missing. Eventually got onto PC Tools site and was able to download an uninstaller.

Hey Presto - the PTE disc now plays without any problems!

Next step is to see if I am now able to install later versions of PTE on my present computer.

As somebody commented, it is the simplest of things that can cause the biggest headaches.

I still don't understand why it allowed most exe files to run while putting a block on one generated in PTE v6 - but I'm not going to bother trying to find out.

Many thanks for your suggestions - maybe I can now think about a holiday to take some pictures for a new slide show instead of getting a new computer!

Barry

Hi Barry

Long shot, have you tried "system restore" to a date prior to your problems???

Yachtsman1.

Barry,

Nice to hear that you seem to have resolved your problems. After you do install latest PTE version, please come back and post the outcome - whether positive or negative - just to "close the loop" for others reading this topic.

regards,

Peter