WnSoft Forums

Dell Computers and Mac Executables - warning!

Nikonos

I wrote in an earlier post regarding having problems playing back Mac executables on my Mac G5. Shows made on my new Dell PC just won't run at all on the G5. I have now recompiled a sample show using my wife's Acer laptop and the resultant file now plays back perfectly. Both machines have Windows 7 installed incidentally and both versions of PtoExe are the same. Clearly there is some sort of incompatibility between the Dell that manifests itself when compiling for a Mac. At least I know how to get around it even if I don't know the reason! Shows compiled on the Dell do run however on my Mac Book Pro. Something very strange going on..... :unsure:

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I wonder if Dell have done some OEM customization to Windows 7 that Acer haven't - or vice versa!

regards,

Peter

That sounds the most likely reason Peter. Curiously enough the old Dell (5 years old) had the same problem. I rather thought (foolishly as it happens), that a brand new machine would behave otherwise. In all other respects it's a decent enough PC - fast, big HD, lot's of RAM (8 gig). I do have a genuine copy of Win 7 that I could transfer to the new PC but I hardly think it worth the effort since I can use the wife's Acer to compile the Mac versions.

Regards - Malcom

Are you sure? I thought the G5 was based on an IBM not Intel processor. You might like to try your show on someone else's Mac such as an iMac and see if it works on that.

The odd thing is that shows for the Mac produced on other machines run just fine - including ones downloaded via links provided here. It is only shows produced on the Dell that will not run - except on the Mac Book Pro....

You could try to copy a show made on another PC to your Dell and then create a Mac executable on the Dell. To d this you need to use Backup to Zip. See http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12011&view=findpost&p=77235 for further information on this. This would at least prove if it is a problem with the Dell and not some other difference in the construction of the shows that is creating a problem. It is certainly a strange one.

You could try to copy a show made on another PC to your Dell and then create a Mac executable on the Dell. To d this you need to use Backup to Zip. See http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12011&view=findpost&p=77235 for further information on this. This would at least prove if it is a problem with the Dell and not some other difference in the construction of the shows that is creating a problem. It is certainly a strange one.

Thanks Peter, good idea. If I get the chance in the next few days I will give it a go.

Regards - Malcolm