WnSoft Forums

Abstract Animation

colin hill

I have attempted to put together a show consisting entirely of GIF images and using animation, something which I have not done before.

This is really just a test for me and for all those expert critics out there, you could have a field day.

I would appreciate constructive criticism from the experts and any others who would like to contribute.

My main problem was with the transitions. You will note there is a lot of jerking and the transitions are not smooth.

Please note that I have posted this to learn from this experience and maybe others could learn as well.

Looking forward to feedback!!!

Colin

http://www.mediafire.com/?5gaakzc7ei7kaah

Nice one, Colin!

I don't have a particularly powerful computer and quite a few of my shows, and others', too, I find exhibit "a lot of jerking and the transitions are not smooth". But your show went pretty well, and I am sure there are members of this forum with top spec computers who will say the same.

Good luck!

David P

Colin,

I didn't see "a lot" of jerkiness. And my PC is getting on for five years old so it isn't "state of the art". A few suggestions relating to animation in general, based upon my experience when animating Rubik's Cube...

If you are using a transition other than Quick, ensure that the animation extends all the way through to the end of the out-going transition. This will give a smooth flow to the slide changes.

Consider using "Smooth" rather than "Linear" for all the animations, especially the rotations.

Consider using the "Anti-shimmering (mip-mapping)" option to try and smooth any jerky transitions. Sometimes it has no effect: sometimes it works wonders!

You may have already learned these lessons but others seeking inspiration from your work may benefit from this advice.

Ideal choice of music for this kind of sequence.

Well done!

To all that commented, thank you. This was a test for me and I intend to pursue this further and experiment.

Peter: Thank you for your advise. I will this evening go back to my test file that I made and try out your suggestions.

It is amazing what one can produce in PTE with a few objects and imagination.

Colin

Colin,

May I ask what software you used to create the graphics, please?

And have you ever seen this:

?

Regards,

David P

David P,

I obtained the graphics or objects from a programme I purchased called "500,000 Images". It comes with 4 CD's and contains everything you require to include in your

web site or presentations. The images and hundreds of photos' can freely be used by the purchaser.

In order to split the images, I used a programme called "Photoscape" which Lin Evans mentioned some time ago and is freely available on the internet by downloading.

It has some good features in it.

I watched the Youtube video of dance squared and it is amazing what one can do with squares and triangles. I am sure all this can be achieved in PTE.

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

I enjoyed your sequence, I know, and many others do what time consuming work it is, but really enjoyable when it all comes together.

I think its great that members play arond with PTE, it allows us all to adapt our own photographic shows and work like this gives inspiration.

Peters advice is as usual spot on, I have followed his advice on one of my shows and it made a great differance to the 'smoothness,

Well done Colin

regards

ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thank you, and what you say is very true. I, like many others have been inspired by what members have produced

and we can only learn from the magnificent audio visuals that have been shown on this forum.

We are blessed that we have such informative members who are so helpful and I have learnt such a lot by reading

all the helpful advise given by these members who are very willing to assist.

PTE certainly is a wonderful product with so many possibilities, both for the professional and the amateur starting

out with this type of work.

Best regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the information. I, also, have a copy of "Photoscape".

Glad you liked Dance Squared. I first saw it in 1968.

I am sure all this can be achieved in PTE.

There is a sequence where shapes follow each other on a curved path. This wouldn't be easy to do in PTE as we can only animate in straight lines and perfect circles or ovals. I wonder if the powers that be might ever consider animation based on a path? ... and how useful would that be?

Regards,

David P