WnSoft Forums

Jerky pictures

tomg

I've made AV's in PTE that use large images to facilitate smooth panning from one image to the next. It looks fine on my Acer laptop set to 1024 x 768. But when I connect the laptop to a Benq projector that has a native resolution of 1024 x 768, the panning movement is jerky when projected on a screen. What is wrong ? I am giving a presentation at a camera club next week so I need to sort this out.

Help !

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

I've made AV's in PTE that use large images to facilitate smooth panning from one image to the next. It looks fine on my Acer laptop set to 1024 x 768. But when I connect the laptop to a Benq projector that has a native resolution of 1024 x 768, the panning movement is jerky when projected on a screen. What is wrong ? I am giving a presentation at a camera club next week so I need to sort this out.

Help !

Tom

Two things to try, first, turn off your laptop screen and just show the slides through the projector. No 2 have you ticked the MIPMAPPING option in the objects & animation feature when you produced the pans.

Yachtsman1.

Some older projectors just cannot cope with large images at the frame rate that a typical modern PC delivers and experience "buffer overrun" conditions. Older projectors that have been designed for video streams (e.g from DVD playback) expect to handle 24-25 frames per second. A modern PC delivering video stream could be working at between 60 and 200 frames per second. If the projector has insufficient buffer memory it cannot keep up with this higher frame rate.

A couple of years ago there were two or three very long threads here on the forum about this subject. The conclusions of those discussions was that this sort of problem will sometimes turn out to be a hardware limitation with the projector. You may not be able to resolve this via changes to your PTE project.

regards,

Peter

Two things to try, first, turn off your laptop screen and just show the slides through the projector. No 2 have you ticked the MIPMAPPING option in the objects & animation feature when you produced the pans.

Yachtsman1.

Thank you , Yachstman, your instinct seems to have been correct. Turning off the laptop screen has cleared up the problem. The sound was also stuttering and that has recovered.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Pleased we've resolved that problem, however it seems like you equipment has reached the limit for the current series of PTE, mine was the same 18 months ago with one of the PTE5 series. I've now up-graded so hopefully won't have to worry for the forseeable future.

Yachtsman1.

Tom,

Pleased to hear that your immediate problem is resolved. However, it is possible that you might still be "over engineering" your images. I'd like to explore this further with you if you are willing.

You used the phrase "panning from one image to the next". Could you please explain this a little more? I feel that you cannot mean the Pan operation in the O&A window as this works only within a single slide.

Could you also please let us know the size of your images (expressed in pixels by pixels)?

regards,

Peter

Tom,

Pleased to hear that your immediate problem is resolved. However, it is possible that you might still be "over engineering" your images. I'd like to explore this further with you if you are willing.

You used the phrase "panning from one image to the next". Could you please explain this a little more? I feel that you cannot mean the Pan operation in the O&A window as this works only within a single slide.

Could you also please let us know the size of your images (expressed in pixels by pixels)?

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

My projector and computer are set at 1024 x 768. The AV I refer to is about Autumn trees. It contains about a dozen images, some 2000 px by 1000 px and some in portrait mode 1000 px by 2000px. The durations vary but average 12 seconds with transitions of up to 7 seconds. Animation is mainly panning in various directions but with some zooming and occasional rotation. As each image ends, the following image emerges through its transition. So the images blend from one to the next. Animation is either “smooth” or sometimes “slow down” and mipmapping is applied to all images.

Best Regards,

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the additional information. I see nothing unusual in anything you've said. There is certainly nothing "over engineered" in those image sizes; they're the size that I would probably use if doing an edge to edge pan. The hardware issue identified by Yachtsman1 must have been the only cause of your problems. Good luck with your presentation.

regards,

Peter