WnSoft Forums

PTE v6.5.2 crashes

GBnew

Whenever I try to create an executable file (for PC), it only works if I use a new file name to save it as. If the filename already exists and I choose to overwrite it, then PTE 6.5.2 freezes with an error message (see attached file to see message). I then have to kill PTE in Windows Task Manager. I am using Windows/XP SP3.

Is this a known problem and, if so, is there a fix? I know I can choose a different filename each time, but it should be able to overwrite an existing file.

Geoff

post-7666-070002200 1285320539_thumb.jpg

Hi Geoff,

Like Dave, I have never experienced this on either XP/SP3 or Vista Home Premium. From the file info in your screen shot, it looks as though your PC might be a multi-user set-up? If it is, then does the userid that you used to login have all the necessary privileges to access files in that folder structure? The folder looks like it might be some kind of temporary storage area and the file name is, I believe, the name constructed by PTE when building an exe file during Preview. Is it possible that you have some unwanted "dross" lying around on the hard drive and are in need of a tidy up?

regards,

Peter

Hi Guys.

Looks a bit more unpredictable than I first thought. The folder name with the long string of numbers and letters in Local Settings\Temp is created as soon as PTE is launched. It opens a new folder each time. I have repeated the sequence of events that causes the problem, and now ... sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't, irrespective of whether I delete the above-mentioned temporary folders beforehand. The plot thickens! Maybe as you say it's something to do with my setup. So, thanks anyway,

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

I also have XP-SP3 and have never had such a issue.

I have repeated the sequence of events that causes the problem, and now ... sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't

So other users with XP-SP3 can test this issue you are having ... please list all the sequence of events that replicates the issue.

Whenever I try to create an executable file (for PC), it only works if I use a new file name to save it as.

To what FileName and FilePath are you saving the EXE ... so we also can try to replicate the issue.

Hi nobeefstu,

Sequence of events that led to PTE freezing:

1. Launch PTE

2. Add some slides to create a short slideshow

3. Save to the Desktop as Project1.pte

4. Create executable file for PC:

- click the "Create" menu item;

- click "Executable File for PC";

- set filename as Project1.exe, then click "Save" (to the Desktop).

5. Close down PTE

***(These first steps work ok for a new slideshow file)

6. Launch PTE again (noting that the Project1.pte file opens automatically as it's the last file worked on)

7. Add some more slides to modify the slideshow

8. Save to the Desktop as Project1.pte - (click "Yes" when asked if want to replace existing Project1.pte file)

9. Create executable file for PC:

- click the "Create" menu item;

- click "Executable File for PC";

- set filename as Project1.exe, then click "Save" (to the Desktop again) - (click "Yes" when asked if want to

replace existing Project1.exe file).

***After a few seconds, PTE freezes with the error message I originally posted to this forum, so have to kill PTE

through Windows Task Manager.

Hope someone can replicate it, otherwise I'll just have to grin and bear it!

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

I've just run through those steps on my Vista system and had no problems. Do you have View|Advanced Options|Enable PTE Program Sounds ticked? If so, do you hear the click after the exe file is Created in both instances or only in the first instance?

regards,

Peter

It might be worth seeing if the same thing happens to other locations other than desktop.

i.e. create a folder on your DATA drive and put everything needed for the demo show in that folder.

Then try to save the pte and exe files there.

Then try to overwrite the exe at that location.

It might produce the same results or maybe................

DG

Hi Peter and Dave,

To answer your questions:

Peter ... I hear the click after the exe file is created initially, but not in the second case (before it freezes). As a matter of interest, I tried to run the exe file that it produced in the second case, but it didn't work - proving that PTE did not create the exe file successfully.

Dave ... I've tried creating the .pte and .exe files in another folder to which I had copied all the required images for the slides (My Documents\PTE) and it makes no difference - it still crashes.

Geoff,

As a simple test ...

Turn-off all your Virus/Firewall protections and then try creating the EXE using your sequence of events. Verify output and playback.

Turn-on Virus/Firewall protections one by one ... testing each one again as they are enabled. Verify each output and playback.

It initially appears to me that maybe your Virus/Firewall protections are still actively hung in scanning the created EXE and will not allow it to be overwritten ... worth a test.

There's something wrong with the executable being put into that apparently randomly named folder under the Temp folder. Your actual executable is buried six levels deep in the directory tree and that may possibly be enough to trip PTE up - but it shouldn't be there anyway.

When I start a slideshow I make a new folder under My Documents, named for the show I am going to make, and copy all the relevant images and sound files into the new folder.

Then I open PTE and navigate to the new folder, pick up the images and sound files and build the show. The Project1.pte file and the executable show file are both written to the new folder as well, so everything is in the one place, and by being under My Documents, when I backup My Docs all sub-folders get backed up as well. If I want to transfer a show from my desktop to my laptop I just have to copy the relevant folder across.

HTH,

Colin

Hi folks,

Well, the plot continues ... maybe ad infinitum.

Re the last two posts:

1. Nobeefstu ... I have been using Norton Internet Security as my Firewall / Antivirus software and it has never ever caused a problem in over 8 years on my pc, probably because I don't interfere with its settings. I don't feel inclined to spend what will probably turn out to be many hours/days trying all possibilities there.

2. Colin ... the strangely named temp folder appears to be used by PTE literally as that (i.e. a temporary folder). The actual .pte and .exe files that I use are indeed saved in my own project folders within My Documents.

After much thought, I've decided not to pursue this anymore for the time being as I just haven't got the time to try all the possible combinations of events that might cause this. If PTE continues to crash too often, then I will just uninstall it and use another product, and accept that I've spent about £50 buying PTE unnecessarily. I also have VideoStudio installed and have been using it for many years without problems, so I'll probably just go back to that as it creates acceptable videos and slide shows with many special effects, pans & zooms, transitions, titles and music/voice tracks (although the end result is not as high quality as PTE, but I can live with that).

Thanks for all your time and suggestions.

Regards,

Geoff