WnSoft Forums

Music

skymot

Hi, Skymot,

I don't know if THIS is the link you saw, but it really refers only to protected WMA files, which are not used very often as music for PTE shows.

Please give us some more specifics to go on. What type of files, are you having trouble with music for one of your own shows, can you hear the music on other shows, can you play an "mp3" file other than on a PTE show?

Hi Alrobin - thank you for your reply.

The link you gave me was the one I saw. I use Windows Media Player and recorded some tracks from a CD into it. Then I sent them to a folder 'My Music' and it was from there that I tried to add it to my slide show. When I then try to run the slide show it just goes black and freezes.

When I open the tracks in 'My Music' they open Media Player which plays okay.

I'm reasonably familiar with my computer but am quite new to using music so must sound like quite a novice.

Your help is much appreciated

Skymot

Hi skymot

I am also new to all this and also use media player but do not have any problems copying cds to media,

or opening them in pte i just go and add music and it plays alwright if alrobin cant help why dont you down load his pte tutorial at beechbrook hope that is some help .

From what you have written it would appear that you are trying to use audio files straight from a CD, albeit via Windows Media and "My Music", without converting it to *.mp3 or *.wav format.

Whilst I use CoolEdit and now its replacement Adobe Audition for this purpose, there are other programmes which no doubt readers will recommend. You can also get *.mp3 music, which can be used in the method you describe or even direct into P2E, from such sources as MP3.com.

Ron [uK]

Skymot,

You can check "Enable Personal Rights Management" in WMP "Options / CD Audio".

However, as Ron says, it is preferrable to convert your music files to either .mp3 or .wav (.mp3 is more compact), rather than trying to use the windows media files directly.

The new version of PTE is supposed to handle ".wma" files, but I have tried it without success. My pc locks up when I try to use a .wma file in PTE. PTE is unable to determine the length of the file for some reason. And, if I enable "error checking", it won't even get that far.

One good free program for converting files is "Audacity" - it comes with a plugin now for converting .wma files, too.

Hope this helps. :)

Ron: How do you like the "new" Audition?

Al

So far I have had no problems with "Audition" - touch wood. Fortunately much is the same as CoolEdit. One feature which I found to be an improvement is File>Extract Audio from CD. It is simple and fast.

Ron [uK]

Playing music seems always to be a problem. I had loads of questions when I first started. Definitely you should aim to use only mp3 files. I have an Audigy 2 sound card fitted to my computer which is an excellent purchase. Included is some software for recording and converting CD music to either WAV or mp3. Check it out!

Your screen will always freeze on a black screen if you attempt to use a music file that is too large. So aways use mp3.

Ron West