WnSoft Forums

Making a button

Ronniebootwest

The object editor in PTE is a great utility and it's ability to link the buttons to a command is superb! However, I want to make a more fancy looking button. Can anyone help me to do this. Perhaps using photoshop.

If Ralph (from Canada) is out there please email me 'cos I have lost all my files during a recen computer upgrade.

Ron West

Hi Ron

If Ralph (from Canada) is out there please email me 'cos I have lost all my files during a recen computer upgrade.

I have E-mailed you Thur. evening Nov 6th - 10:38pm your time in the UK.

If for some reason you do not receive, or your mail is not up and running, click on my name and advise me using Forum E-mail.

I should have most of your data still on my computer.

Ron:

I seem to recall a discussion on fancy buttons and several links to recommended software several months ago (maybe longer).

Try doing a search (bottom right of screen) and look for "Buttons" or maybe "Icons"

Hi Ron

I wrote the following for one of the threads that JRR mentions:

"I create the images for my Icons in Photoshop, then use Irfanview to re-size to 32x32, to create them. Finding that in 256 Colors PTE would not accept, I decreased the colour depth in Irfanview to 16 and all has been well."

Since then I have reduced the size to 32x32 in Photoshop. Also in Irfanview - Image>Decrease Color Depth- I have found that if I reduce to 16 then back to 256 all is well - some little quirk?

As regards buttons these can also be created in Photoshop and brought into PTE as Image Objects. On this you will find the answers to my question about Object Editor-Invisible button bounding box at 11 October 2003

Ron [uK]

An alternative button option I have used is to create a .GIF picture (any size) then import it as a picture.

Next I place a hyperlink on top of the .GIF

It's not perfect, but it is flexible.

I've created buttons of 1-up 2-up, 3-up, 4-up which are actually just one GIF and so they are always perfectly aligned and are stable with any screen size. the hyperlink changes colors which is nice too.

Merlin